Teams are asking about Bundy

byrdz

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

I don’t think the valuation of the player changes near the deadline. I do however think teams are willing to be more aggressive with their assets when they are in contention, it’s also a time when multiple teams are in the market. I’ve done no study, but I’d imagine that in general the returns are better at the deadline vice the offseason. 

You are correct, some assets definitely have more value at the deadline, shutdown relievers or front-line starters for example. I think average starting pitchers or average starting position players have more value in the offseason though. They aren't playoff difference-makers and there value is in filling out a rotation or lineup and helping a team win over the course of a season. 

15 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

You are correct, some assets definitely have more value at the deadline, shutdown relievers or front-line starters for example. I think average starting pitchers or average starting position players have more value in the offseason though. They aren't playoff difference-makers and there value is in filling out a rotation or lineup and helping a team win over the course of a season. 

Mostly agree with all, it does seem though that teams will overpay for players who they know are in the midst of a hot streak and are out preforming their career norms. All this to say, no need to rush a Bundy deal as he still has upside. 

11 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Mostly agree with all, it does seem though that teams will overpay for players who they know are in the midst of a hot streak and are out preforming their career norms. All this to say, no need to rush a Bundy deal as he still has upside. 

Dan trading for Parra  doesn't count since he is currently out of baseball.

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s a tough dude for overcoming this, but it’s obviously really impacted him.  Sounds like the calcium just has to disappear on it’s own.  41 homers allowed is still 41 homers allowed.  Like all SP, he would benefit from pitching in a big ballpark in the NL.

Dr. James Andrews, who examined Bundy, attributed the pain in the 22-year-old's shoulder to an unusually large buildup of calcium, the magnitude of which he said he had never seen before

I had this condition two summers ago.  Pain was so bad I could barely sleep for a week.  Luckily a cortisone shot and some nsaid meds were able to reduce the inflammation within a few days.  Had to do lots of physical therapy to help the recovery stick and regain range of motion. Still try to do my stretching exercises regularly to keep it at bay.  In my case i was using my traps for everything as a cheat instead of my pecs, which put huge strain on my shoulder.  Ive been told i should never paint a ceiling for the rest of my life.  That said bundy is probably on a way more sophisticated regimen to keep the calcium out and his shoulder sound.  

6 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

I had this condition two summers ago.  Pain was so bad I could barely sleep for a week.  Luckily a cortisone shot and some nsaid meds were able to reduce the inflammation within a few days.  Had to do lots of physical therapy to help the recovery stick and regain range of motion. Still try to do my stretching exercises regularly to keep it at bay.  In my case i was using my traps for everything as a cheat instead of my pecs, which put huge strain on my shoulder.  Ive been told i should never paint a ceiling for the rest of my life.  That said bundy is probably on a way more sophisticated regimen to keep the calcium out and his shoulder sound.  

That's a shame.

I'd hate to be under that type of restriction. 

From reading about it the best things are,

-Rest

-Stregthening Core and Legs

-Treatment. Ibuprofen, physical therapy. Etc...

Bundy is already a workout warrior with tree trunk legs. I’m sure he’s getting the best medical care in the world. It’s just throwing a ball makes it worse. 4.35 ERA in the 1st half. 7.11 ERA in the 2nd half. 

Let’s say he has a sub 3.50 ERA at the deadline. Will a team overlook his physical and calcium buildup from the season?  If he’s been dealing with it since 2013, chances are this is going to happen to him each year. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

From reading about it the best things are,

-Rest

-Stregthening Core and Legs

-Treatment. Ibuprofen, physical therapy. Etc...

Bundy is already a workout warrior with tree trunk legs. I’m sure he’s getting the best medical care in the world. It’s just throwing a ball makes it worse. 4.35 ERA in the 1st half. 7.11 ERA in the 2nd half. 

Let’s say he has a sub 3.50 ERA at the deadline. Will a team overlook his physical and calcium buildup from the season?  If he’s been dealing with it since 2013, chances are this is going to happen to him each year. 

You are linking the calcium deposits and his declining 2nd half performance, but they’re not necessarily related.  

Archived