Born in Maryland

Frobby

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

He and they were our rivals in high school. We had a healthy dose of dislike for him and his program as we were always told he taught his kids to play dirty. He actually used to keep players on his roster who's entire job it was to talk trash to the other team. They would yell "drop it" when a fielder was about to catch a pop up in the infield. We were always taught to respect the game and our opponents and were forbidden to talk with them or the umpires during games.

He and our head coach (Harry Lentz) had a healthy dislike for each other and both were birddog scouts for the Orioles (saying that, few if any of their best players ever were drafted by the Orioles.)

Neagle was the best to come out of either program. I think Chorey Spoone is the guy who made it the farthest up the minor league ladder (AAA) from Northeast.

Bernie was actually a really nice guy, when not on the field.

Yeah, I get what you was saying about that. He also would have his catcher throw on purpose to CF, and throw the guy out, while he was advancing to third.

He had a few other really good players, that ended up taking Football or basketball scholarships to Div 1 schools.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He and they were our rivals in high school. We had a healthy dose of dislike for him and his program as we were always told he taught his kids to play dirty. He actually used to keep players on his roster who's entire job it was to talk trash to the other team. They would yell "drop it" when a fielder was about to catch a pop up in the infield. We were always taught to respect the game and our opponents and were forbidden to talk with them or the umpires during games.

He and our head coach (Harry Lentz) had a healthy dislike for each other and both were birddog scouts for the Orioles (saying that, few if any of their best players ever were drafted by the Orioles.)

Neagle was the best to come out of either program. I think Chorey Spoone is the guy who made it the farthest up the minor league ladder (AAA) from Northeast.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/hs/profile.asp?ID=6592

Wayne Franklin

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=4240

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Is there a state that has a more impressive list of MLB players than this:

Babe Ruth

Lefty Grove

Jimmie Foxx

Al Kaline

Cal Ripken Jr. 

Home Run Baker

Steve Lombardozzi

Well, Lombardozzi puts them over the top!

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Since the turn of the century, there have been a scant 26 players who debuted in the majors who were born in the state of Maryland.    Of those, only 15 played their high school ball in the area.    Here’s the list of 26; players with an asterisk played their HS ball elsewhere.   If you saw any of these guys play in HS or college, shout it out!

Troy Browhawr*

Mark Budzinski

Mark Teixeira

Gabe Gross*

Gavin Floyd

Steve Schmoll

Justin Maxwell

Aaron Laffey

Josh Banks

Nick Adenhart

Luke Carlin*

Daryl Thomas

Mike Parisi*

Josh Roenicke*

Chris Coghlan*

Brett Cecil

Mark Hamilton*

Michael Taylor*

Steve Clevenger

Steve Johnson

Delino DeShields Jr.*

Matthew Bowman*

Josh Hader

Adam Kolarek

Evan Phillips*

Ryan Meisinger 

I assume there could be some major league players who played HS ball in Maryland, but weren’t born there.   I don’t have a systematic way to find those, so if anyone can think of one, post it here.

I played with (and against) Tex & Gavin Floyd.   I've worked out with Mark Budzinski (I played UR) and I've worked out with Brett Cecil (I played at DeMatha) but didn't play against them.  

9 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I played with (and against) Tex & Gavin Floyd.   I've worked out with Mark Budzinski (I played UR) and I've worked out with Brett Cecil (I played at DeMatha) but didn't play against them.  

I graduated from DeMatha, so last century ago. Talk to people here in the Baltimore area and when I mention DeMatha they recognize the name and its sports legacy, even though it's in the DC 'burbs.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Back in the days, before the internet, when we had to read the capital or the gazette for local stuff. :):):)

Haha, no doubt. I loved searching for my name in the boxscores and loved it when they mentioned my name in the recap! ;)

Archived