If the Padres trade Austin Hedges - Should the Orioles be Interested?

Yardball85

Per Morosi, the Padres continue to kick the tires on a potential Realmuto trade.  

Assuming Hedges isn't traded to the Marlins, could the Orioles potentially swoop in and acquire him Cobb ++?  Hedges had a WAR of 1.4 last year, which isn't great but obviously is much better than what the Orioles have now.  He is not a free agent until 2023.  Solid defender, has some pop, .711 OPS last year.

Thoughts?

16 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Per Morosi, the Padres continue to kick the tires on a potential Realmuto trade.  

Assuming Hedges isn't traded to the Marlins, could the Orioles potentially swoop in and acquire him Cobb ++?  Hedges had a WAR of 1.4 last year, which isn't great but obviously is much better than what the Orioles have now.  He is not a free agent until 2023.  Solid defender, has some pop, .711 OPS last year.

Thoughts?

No. 2019 Contract Status: 1st Year Arb Eligible (Super 2)

13 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Their goal is to suck and suck hard.

News flash, I guess the team doesn't understand that.

Hyde said he doesnt like rebuild talk and that he was putting together a competitive team for this season.

Personally, while I am not expecting world series tickets., my expectation bar is set low. I am willing to let them see how it plays out.

But, I seriously think their goal is not to suck and suck hard.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

News flash, I guess the team doesn't understand that.

Hyde said he doesnt like rebuild talk and that he was putting together a competitive team for this season.

Personally, while I am not expecting world series tickets., my expectation bar is set low. I am willing to let them see how it plays out.

But, I seriously think their goal is not to suck and suck hard.

First - nobody is going to say their goal is to suck, even if that’s the truth.    

Second - it’s always the manager’s goal to win as many games as he can with the talent he’s got, and to cajole the best performance possible out of his individual players.    In some cases, he might be asked to allot playing time in accordance with long term developmental objectives rather than win-now objectives.   But overall, of course the manager is trying to win.

Third - I expect the front office’s philosophy is a lot like Houston’s — their goal is to build a team that can contend on a sustained basis as quickly as possible, and if that means trading current assets for future ones and lowering the number of current wins, so be it.    But I don’t think they’ll be intentionally bad just to improve the team’s draft position.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First - nobody is going to say their goal is to suck, even if that’s the truth.    

Second - it’s always the manager’s goal to win as many games as he can with the talent he’s got, and to cajole the best performance possible out of his individual players.    In some cases, he might be asked to allot playing time in accordance with long term developmental objectives rather than win-now objectives.   But overall, of course the manager is trying to win.

Third - I expect the front office’s philosophy is a lot like Houston’s — their goal is to build a team that can contend on a sustained basis as quickly as possible, and if that means trading current assets for future ones and lowering the number of current wins, so be it.    But I don’t think they’ll be intentionally bad just to improve the team’s draft position.   

I was responding to Rene and his opinion the team goal would be to suck and suck hard.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I realize that.    And my post you quoted is my two cents on that subject.   

They hired a manager that will have as his only goal to win more games than he loses. Other's in the organization will certainly make moves that will temper his ability to succeed. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

They hired a manager that will have as his only goal to win more games than he loses. Other's in the organization will certainly make moves that will temper his ability to succeed. 

And since its early and ST hasnt started, we can sit back and hope it works for them.

Archived