Mlbtraderumors Orioles Offseason Outlook

jrobb21613

Alex Cobb also seems unlikely to be moved, with the $43MM he’s owed still looming large. Baltimore could perhaps eat a notable portion of that remaining sum in an effort to clear that ill-fated contract from the books, though that won’t be an easy sell. Cobb did pitch more effectively after the All-Star break, but his strikeout rate in the second half actually went down slightly (from 6.1 to 5.9 K/9) as his walk rate increased (from 2.3 to 2.7 BB/9). He allowed less hard contact and fewer home runs, but the O’s would probably need to eat half the contract to even find a taker. Andrew Cashner is a similarly unappealing trade asset, and if we were all impressed that Jerry Dipoto managed to shed the remainder of Robinson Cano’s contract, we’d have to consider it a legitimate miracle if Elias somehow found anyone to absorb a decent chunk of the Chris Davis contract. There may be a Trumbo taker out there if the Orioles agree to eat $9-10MM in salary, but the return wouldn’t be meaningful.

The suggestions overall in this article aren't bad.  The suggestions it makes for how the O's should approach FA are interesting.  I like the idea of signing a pitcher like the two they suggested in Pomeranz and Santana.  I think Shields and Shelby Miller might be cheap sleeper options too.

I don't know how I feel about going after outfielders or RP like it suggests.  Need to save money, let younger guys play, and be ok with losing games. We have Mullins, Stewart, Mancini, Rickard, Trumbo, Drew Jackson, Wilkerson, Santander, Hays, Diaz, Valera, Brugman, or Bostick that could get ABs in the OF.  If we go after anyone, it should be a part time guy who we could flip at the deadline.  Like a Curtis Granderson or Denard Span.  If 1B or DH could open up for Mancini, I would entertain a Jones or Markakis reunion, but only if it was $5mil or cheaper, a one year deal, and no no trade clauses.

SS is a must and I think Jose Iglesias is our guy if he's cheap enough.  Freddy Galvis would be a nice  fit too, but I think he will be courted by a contender.  If we can't get one of those two, then I'm ok with Alcides Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, or Ryan Goins.  

I agree they need to add another starter and someone like Pomeranz on a year year deal at $6 million or 2 years and $11 million seems like a solid low cost move with some upside to move if he is healthy.  I would stay with what we have in the pen and outfield unless a very last signing for under $3 million a year.  The infield I would like to see what Martin has but i also like D.J.  Lemeihu from Colorado as an option.  I usually hate Colorado guys but he has some impressive numbers that you don’t hear much about and they were talking about on MLB Network that he has some of the highest exit velocity number in the game.  They talked how his launch angle is what hurts him from getting to that power.    A 2 year deal for 16 million seems like a good gamble. You can then move Villar to short or look to move him in spring for some prospects.

Archived