Latest on the international market (Perez conf. call)

interloper

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I've never advocated throwing money at players that are not worth signing.

Then don't complain when we don't use all that money to sign players this year! If it truly can be rerouted at Elias says, then we have a nice nest egg of some $5 or 6 million to pump into something he deems worthwhile, which is exciting.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've never advocated throwing money at players that are not worth signing.

Key word 2018 international Free Agents. Everyone knows all the players that were eligible for the 2018 have already signed with clubs. So Joe Trezza is kind of out of it. Plus it’s 2019 and Elias should be talking about spending when that period opens up. Seems like Elias dodged that question a little or just a stupid question. 

Trezza is one of our best writers and doesn’t understand this. That’s sad. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Key word 2018 international Free Agents. Everyone knows all the players that were eligible for the 2018 have already signed with clubs. So Joe Trezza is kind of out of it. Plus it’s 2019 and Elias should be talking about spending when that period opens up. Seems like Elias dodged that question a little or just a stupid question. 

Trezza is one of our best writers and doesn’t understand this. That’s sad. 

I didn't get that.  Seemed to me that they were specifically talking about the 2018 bonus cap space that we acquired in trades - primarily the Gausman trade, that we failed to spend on the Cuban players.  If someone pops late in the current period, we'll be in a good position to sign them.  If not, there are plenty of other areas that we spend the money on.

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I didn't get that.  Seemed to me that they were specifically talking about the 2018 bonus cap space that we acquired in trades - primarily the Gausman trade, that we failed to spend on the Cuban players.  If someone pops late in the current period, we'll be in a good position to sign them.  If not, there are plenty of other areas that we spend the money on.

Uh, right. Not sure what sportsfan is talking about here.

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

They put his name on the website in less then a day. They finally cleaned up all the people who are no longer with the team and put the new ones on the website. 

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/team/front-office

Interestingly, Sig is listed under Analytics while also being called an Assistant GM. This annoyingly avoids the issue of whether or not to list him above Brady in the Baseball Operations section. Which bothers probably only me, huge dork. 

John Wasdin is still listed as minor league pitching coordinator, though. Isn't it supposed to be Chris Holt?

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Interestingly, Sig is listed under Analytics while also being called an Assistant GM. 

John Wasdin is still listed as minor league pitching coordinator, though. Isn't it supposed to be Chris Holt?

Also interesting that they quickly put up Hyde and Perez, but in addition to Holt, Flores and Cossins haven’t been put on the staff listings either.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

I think Chris Holt has not been officially announced by the Orioles as of this time.

Elias has confirmed it in passing, I believe, but I think you're right. Also Wasdin has been offered another position within the organization I think, and is supposed to stay on in some capacity.

Archived