Latest on the international market (Perez conf. call)

interloper

2 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Most surprising to me about is not so much that it's a former player, but that's a recent former player who played under PGA's ownership.  Guys from the golden era like Brooks, Frank, Paul Blair when he was still with us, it was unfortunate to be sure but they had no connection to Angelos.  Guys like Melvin Mora, who spent  10 years here, is in the team Hall of Fame, and I would think got along with ownership as evidenced by those 10 years.  If similar guys like Brady can get an in, or guys with less playing tenure like Maduro (not a knock, just saying he didn't play her very long), can get opportunities, how a guy like Mora doesn't until now baffles me.

I think Mora was trying to get phone calls returned, based on kids at his Venezuela Baseball School.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

This Maduro quote from that article really shows how secretly and close to the vest Mike Elias is. Which is a good thing...

“When Mike told me a few weeks ago that we hired him, I was ecstatic, because I know the guy, I know he’s a good hire, I know he’s a hard worker. That’s what you need.”

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

This Maduro quote from that article really shows how secretly and close to the vest Mike Elias is. Which is a good thing...

“When Mike told me a few weeks ago that we hired him, I was ecstatic, because I know the guy, I know he’s a good hire, I know he’s a hard worker. That’s what you need.”

Sad, we complement Elias for being secret and tight lipped, which I respect.

Yet, others throw darts at DD for being the same.

Seams ironic, if you ask me.

Ahem.

It hasn’t been announced, but Ayala commanded a six-figure signing bonus; he is at least the seventh international amateur the Orioles have signed this period for $100,000 or more. In contrast, it’s believed the organization signed only one player for $100,000 or more in the 2017-18 period. Furthermore, of those seven signings this period, at least four are from different countries.

https://theathletic.com/748500/2019/01/04/orioles-international-amateur-pipeline-must-be-built-from-almost-nothing-and-its-success-is-crucial/

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I never did! He was the first GM in a long while that didn't have leaks. And that's exactly what you need in a professional job.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

DD only dabbled in leaks if he was the one leaking it.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I didn’t have any problem with DD playing his cards close to the vest. He wasn’t a very compelling communicator when he did communicate, however.   And the reports from several people of phone calls not getting returned were disturbing.    

So, the Orioles have signed at least 7 international players at $100,000 or more in this signing period. Obviously they won't be highly rated players and they are probably very young. But that's improvement any way you slice it, despite whiffing on the big three. This along with the Perez hire is probably the biggest news since the hiring of Elias himself. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Agree. In thinking about it, if you have contacts around the league and in other countries, and you're aware of the young players that are coming up, maybe you really don't need to have a million scouts. The players are going to be the same people in 1-3 years as they age and you start signing them. They already have tabs on these guys, they just haven't been able to sign them. With Maduro and his crew, plus Perez now, perhaps that's enough through the next couple of years. Plus you can leverage guys like Mora and other contacts who are explicitly Orioles employees. 

Besides the sorry state of the old ownership, that's the great news about Mora. He stills lives in the area and I'll bet he called us first about prospects in Venezuela "armed with video and scouting reports." Already has an academy down there. From everything I've read over the years Venezuela is a real Wild West place. Bordering on dangerous. To have a solid foothold there would be great.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

So, the Orioles have signed at least 7 international players at $100,000 or more in this signing period. Obviously they won't be highly rated players and they are probably very young. But that's improvement any way you slice it, despite whiffing on the big three. This along with the Perez hire is probably the biggest news since the hiring of Elias himself. 

Were those 7 Elias or the end of DD's time?

Just now, interloper said:

Probably most DD, but it doesn't really matter. 

Shows that the Bros have been in charge for at least a little while and are different from their father. I don't know why but PA was always dead set against it.

1 minute ago, weams said:

I think the point was that the Orioles may have spent up to a million for the 2018 2019 J2 period. 

Exactly. Sure, it's not what we envisioned after the Gausman/O'Day dump, but, you know, it's something.

Here's the most recent signing, LHP Ayala:

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=642372

Archived