Interesting FAs

wildcard

17 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would prefer Markakis to Jones.  The first reason would be because of Jones' trade protection that was mentioned.  The second would be that I don't see Jones handling a cut in his playing time for a rookie very well.

Markakis had a very good year last season.  He will get a contract that is much more than the O's want to pay.

In order for Jones to sign with the O"s he would have to waive is 5/10 rights.

I think Jones could do well in right field.   He has a better arm than most OFer. and he is still mobile enough to play a corner OF spot.   He would be a stop gap player until Hays is ready.   He could be traded at the deadline if Hays is  tearing it up at AAA.

Jones probably gets better than 1/4 and goes elsewhere but it is something to watch.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildcard said:

Markakis had a very good year last season.  He will get a contract that is much more than the O's want to pay.

In order for Jones to sign with the O"s he would have to waive is 5/10 rights.

I think Jones could do well in right field.   He has a better arm than most OFer. and he is still mobile enough to play a corner OF spot.   He would be a stop gap player until Hays is ready.   He could be traded at the deadline if Hays is  tearing it up at AAA.

Jones probably gets better than 1/4 and goes elsewhere but it is something to watch.

I don't think Markakis is going to do that well.  Teams are not just going to go off of last year's numbers.  His OPS also dropped 176 points in the second half.

I'm not sure Jones can waive his 10/5 rights as part of a contract.  I've never heard of it happening before.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Markakis is going to do that well.  Teams are not just going to go off of last year's numbers.  His OPS also dropped 176 points in the second half.

I'm not sure Jones can waive his 10/5 rights as part of a contract.  I've never heard of it happening before.

Mr Corn:  I have seen players waive their no trade clauses.  That is what 5/10 right are.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mr Corn:  I have seen players waive their no trade clauses.  That is what 5/10 right are.

Mr wildcard:  I said as part of the contract.

I don't want Jones signed with an "understanding" in place that he will waive his no trade clause.  I want a contract that states he does not have trade protection.  I've never heard of that and I'm not sure it is even a possibility.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mr wildcard:  I said as part of the contract.

I don't want Jones signed with an "understanding" in place that he will waive his no trade clause.  I want a contract that states he does not have trade protection.  I've never heard of that and I'm not sure it is even a possibility.

Mr Corn:  I agree that it has to be in writing for Jones to return which is still unlikely in any event.

On 1/20/2019 at 9:33 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Only if you think his present value is higher than his past value at any point.

Or if you think he present value is higher than his future value at any point. ;) 

19 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I know it makes no sense and won’t happen but would love to AJ or Kakes back.

It was the best of posts....it was the worst of posts. ;) 

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You sign Jones and you risk being stuck with him all season since he will have trade protection.

And no one is giving up a bag of balls for Trumbo.  His market value was a third string catcher when he was younger, cheaper, and healthy.

Everyone read that last sentence again.  I'd have to say I agree that Trumbo is not a tradable asset unless we give something of value like a pick...That doesn't make sense, but I get why Corn still fears it.

Love AJ, but I think if we bring one back it should be Markakis. He consistently has good ABs and good be an example for how the young hitters should approach things. Plus he’s been gone for 4 years, doesn’t have huge ties to the previous staff, so he would still offer a fresh perspective. 

Jones is a great leader on a vet team. I don’t know how he fits in on a team that is losing and young hitters looks up to him. Didn’t Austin Hays pick up some bad habits, like becoming homer happy, while he around the big club?  We don’t need that. 

The quiet you don't hear is the sound  of the Free Agent market collapsing.     Well for most of it.   Free agent signings have slowed to a trickle.    That will drive prices down for all but the top 6 remaining FA on the market. Those six still get multi year contracts at high prices.  Prices that have held up pretty well this off season until now.  

But now this pause signals the drop of one year contract prices for most the remaining FA.   Teams saying we can do without you.... unless you will take less.   JMO

Here are the some of the remaining Free Agents

1. Keuchel - # 4

2. Kimbrel - #5

Honorable Mention

5. Madson

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Eh, maybe, it's more about eating innings and allowing the team to use guys like Hess and Yacabonis in roles they may actually thrive in (aka relief).

I was mocking the folks that want to sign various players to later trade them.  Sorry thought he exclamation point made that clear.

Archived