Interesting FAs

wildcard

My understanding from listening to Elias and having read Astroball is that the front office will provide Hyde and the coaching staff with all the data and info they need so that they have tools they need to make educated decision both before and in game. It’s going to be up to Hyde how they use that information. It’s best especially with in game decision especially if the manager has a good feel for the game to trust is gut instinct and go with that even if the data suggest otherwise. 

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

My understanding from listening to Elias and having read Astroball is that the front office will provide Hyde and the coaching staff with all the data and info they need so that they have tools they need to make educated decision both before and in game. It’s going to be up to Hyde how they use that information. It’s best especially with in game decision especially if the manager has a good feel for the game to trust is gut instinct and go with that even if the data suggest otherwise. 

Thanks

I feel like we are to the point of the off season where the Orioles should be doing something.  I feel like we are seeing some reliever deals that are completely palatable, even for a rebuilding club, and for relievers who could be flipped at the deadline.

I know a lot of people dont want any additions and I think that's a foolhardy path to follow.  A team has to be able to bring in flippable players if it wants to speed up its rebuild and not depend wholly on its draft and player development.

4 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I feel like we are to the point of the off season where the Orioles should be doing something.  I feel like we are seeing some reliever deals that are completely palatable, even for a rebuilding club, and for relievers who could be flipped at the deadline.

I know a lot of people dont want any additions and I think that's a foolhardy path to follow.  A team has to be able to bring in flippable players if it wants to speed up its rebuild and not depend wholly on its draft and player development.

They already flipped their flippable players last year so that cards essentially been played. I don't see how signing fourth tier relievers with the idea of flipping them at the deadline  for a player who MIGHT offer "organizational depth" is going to speed up the rebuild process. Add depth through the international market, draft well, and coach up the prospects with upside. That's how this team is going to improve. 

That said, I do expect Givens to be traded and probably Cobb too if he can rebuild his value. I also expect them to think long and hard about whether or not moving Bundy makes sense too. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

They already flipped their flippable players last year so that cards essentially been played. I don't see how signing fourth tier relievers with the idea of flipping them at the deadline  for a player who MIGHT offer "organizational depth" is going to speed up the rebuild process. Add depth through the international market, draft well, and coach up the prospects with upside. That's how this team is going to improve. 

That said, I do expect Givens to be traded and probably Cobb too if he can rebuild his value. I also expect them to think long and hard about whether or not moving Bundy makes sense too. 

Might be able to dump Cashner's contract on someone.

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Doubt it. Cashner's the pitching equivalent of Trumbo. And I don't think he's going to do anything this season to help or cause. 

He'll provide innings hopefully. The O's are going to have to get through the season somehow, especially with a lot of young pitchers on innings limits.

48 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/stephen-vogt-hosting-workout.html

Vogt would be interesting if cheap.  If healthy, he's be a guy to lead a young staff.  I'd play him 90 games or less and tandem with Wynns.

I glanced at his stats and it doesn't look like he's been a very good defensive catcher over the course of his career. Why do you think he'd be a good guy to lead a young staff? Personally, I'm in favor of giving Sisco another shot. It's not like we have any young pitchers in the rotation right now that he can ruin/hurt. Cobb, Cashner and even Bundy are all vets at this point and the other pitchers in rotation are really just bodies to fill out the rotation spots. I don't see any of them as having any significant long term potential with the club. Harvey and Rodriguez are really our only high level starting pitching prospects and I don't see either of them cracking the rotation this season. 

50 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I glanced at his stats and it doesn't look like he's been a very good defensive catcher over the course of his career. Why do you think he'd be a good guy to lead a young staff? Personally, I'm in favor of giving Sisco another shot. It's not like we have any young pitchers in the rotation right now that he can ruin/hurt. Cobb, Cashner and even Bundy are all vets at this point and the other pitchers in rotation are really just bodies to fill out the rotation spots. I don't see any of them as having any significant long term potential with the club. Harvey and Rodriguez are really our only high level starting pitching prospects and I don't see either of them cracking the rotation this season. 

His DWAR was positive during his AS seasons.  Veteran lefty bat for 1M?

19 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is such as a short sighted and empirically disproved argument.  Teams can absolutely add players this time of year who are flippable.  I have posted that list multiple times from just last year.

If you are thinking player development and the international signees are the sole path to a rebuild you are going to be waiting a long time for something that will never come to fruition.

30 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This is such as a short sighted and empirically disproved argument.  Teams can absolutely add players this time of year who are flippable.  I have posted that list multiple times from just last year.

If you are thinking player development and the international signees are the sole path to a rebuild you are going to be waiting a long time for something that will never come to fruition.

It's very clear that the Orioles plan to spend very little money this off season. So they types of players they "might" be willing to target are going to be so far down on the totem pole that they're not going to bring back anything of value. I'm not sure where you've gotten this notion that baseball GMs are like like glorified day traders who sign players with the intention of flipping them that same year. I really don't think this is a common strategy, especially for rebuilding teams. 

This rebuild will take five years if they do it the right way. Maybe four if they catch some breaks. There's no short cut or way around that fact. And when I say rebuild I'm not just talking about fielding a competitive team for a few seasons,  I'm talking about changing EVERYTHING so they can have sustainable success. 

Archived