Trumbo sounds cautiously doubtful to be ready by Opening Day

wildcard

It's nice to be confident that the current GM wouldn't even thought about resigning Trumbo to anything but a one-year, cheap deal.  The Trumbo signing was probably my least favorite of the Duquette era, and that includes Davis and Ubaldo.  You can come with plausible scenarios where Davis and Ubaldo could have had positive impacts for most of their deals. That's really hard with Trumbo, who'd pulled off the difficult feat of leading the league in homers yet still being arguably below average.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Trumbo is not available to begin the season I could see this alignment:

Davis 1B/DH

Mancini DH/1B

Stewart LF

Mullin/Rickard platoon  CF

Yaz or FA or Rickard RF

Jim Duquette said on Wall to Wall  baseball on Saturday that because the O's are no going to contend in 2019 his thoughts as a former GM are that he would delay the service clock of Hays, Diaz, and McKenna.  That is just his opinion but I can see the logic.

Just now, wildcard said:

If Trumbo is not available to begin the season I could see this alignment:

Davis 1B/DH

Mancini DH/1B

Stewart LF

Mullin/Rickard platoon  CF

Yaz or FA or Rickard RF

Jim Duquette said on Wall to Wall  baseball on Saturday that because the O's are no going to contend in 2019 his thoughts as a former GM are that he would delay the service clock of Hays, Diaz, and McKenna.  That is just his opinion but I can see the logic.

Yaz! I haven't seen anyone mention him in quite awhile. He's not on the 40man, either, so I would find this pretty unlikely. Though I like the kid. 

It’s not my money but if Trumbo were to never take the field again in an O’s uniform I would be alright with that. Did anyone actually think he’d be worth enough for any type of trade even at the deadline? Between Mancini, Trumbo, and Davis we’ve got quite an awful outlook on the whole Dh/1b aspect of the game. When Mancini is your best player at positions that should be offensively productive then you know you really messed up somewhere along the line. 

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yaz! I haven't seen anyone mention him in quite awhile. He's not on the 40man, either, so I would find this pretty unlikely. Though I like the kid. 

If Yaz was named John Smith or Juan Sanchez what are the odds he'd be the 2019 Orioles' right fielder with his resume? 5%?

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If Yaz was named John Smith or Juan Sanchez what are the odds he'd be the 2019 Orioles' right fielder with his resume? 5%?

Have you seen Sig's notes on reworking his "launch angle" though?  Food for thought

21 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I wouldnt hold my breath too much.

Not a huge demand for fulltime DHers

Who make 13.5 million a year, who have a very low OBP and strike out all the time.  We basically got him for nothing when he was younger and healthy and productive and had a much lower salary. 

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

Who make 13.5 million a year, who have a very low OBP and strike out all the time.  We basically got him for nothing when he was younger and healthy and productive and had a much lower salary. 

This is probably oversimplifying, but they fell into the Nelson Cruz trap.  They believed that one-dimensional 30-something sluggers were a good bet, instead of the abysmal, soul-crushing gamble they really are.

Archived