Trumbo sounds cautiously doubtful to be ready by Opening Day

wildcard

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The easiest thing for me is to do what Drungo is suggesting, i.e. assume that the effect of playing half your games in Harbor Park is roughly equivalent to the effect of playing 100% of your games in the major leagues instead of AAA.    For example, Mancini had a .775 OPS in Norfolk and now after two years he has a .777 OPS in the majors.   But the truth is, different players are impacted differently.   

Yaz had a bizarre year last year, .801 in AA but .603 in AAA.   The two previous seasons he hit much better in AA.   I’m kind of guessing, but I think Yaz would struggle to match his career .739 stat line in AAA as a major leaguer.    I’d peg him for .700ish.

Let's say Yaz is 739 OPS same has his career stat.  He would be paid the minimum.  Who you going to get that is better?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Let's say Yaz is 739 OPS same has his career stat.  He would be paid the minimum.  Who you going to get that is better?

If that was a medium case proposition, you'd have a better point. Unfortunately, it looks closer to his best case scenario, with something in the .600's more likely.

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

20 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If that was a medium case proposition, you'd have a better point. Unfortunately, it looks closer to his best case scenario, with something in the .600's more likely.

I tend to side with LookinUp in his assessment of how Yaz would hit in the majors, maybe slightly more optimistic.   For what it’s worth (which isn’t much), ZiPS projected Yaz at .674 as a major leaguer last year.    But I’d be lying if I said I really knew.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I tend to side with LookinUp in his assessment of how Yaz would hit in the majors, maybe slightly more optimistic.   For what it’s worth (which isn’t much), ZiPS projected Yaz at .674 as a major leaguer last year.    But I’d be lying if I said I really knew.

That's fine.   I think Elias will bring in a veteran outfielder to play right.  But if he doesn't Yaz may be an alternative.   I think Yaz  hitting for 867 OPS away from Harbor Park gives him the opportunity to be better than 700ish hitting.   That's my opinion.   He has to show it in ST and into the season.   Yaz has three options.  He can be brought up and down to the majors as needed next season.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

That's fine.   I think Elias will bring in a veteran outfielder to play right.  But if he doesn't Yaz may be an alternative.   I think Yaz  hitting for 867 OPS away from Harbor Park gives him the opportunity to be better than 700ish hitting.   That's my opinion.   He has to show it in ST and into the season.   Yaz has three options.  He can be brought up and down to the majors as needed next season.

I don’t have a problem with your optimism about Yaz, but there’s probably a reason why he’s not on the 40-man roster and has never been claimed in the Rule 5 draft despite being eligible each of the last three years.   If he surprises us, great, I’m all for it.  

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have no guesses how this man thinks or what he might do other than grow the quality of talent in the organization. 

And spend as little money as he can while the team is not competitive.

I might guess that Jaycob Brugman has a leg up. Or Ademar Rifaela. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t have a problem with your optimism about Yaz, but there’s probably a reason why he’s not on the 40-man roster and has never been claimed in the Rule 5 draft despite being eligible each of the last three years.   If he surprises us, great, I’m all for it.  

IMO  Yaz has learned and improved over the years.  His ceiling is low at his current age but he is at his peak.   He was not claimed in the Rule 5 because of his age and low ceiling.  Not to many 28 year olds claimed.  

He is a stopgap player for the O's now.  After Hays is ready Yaz becomes a 4th or 5th outfielder with options.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am not writing out Yastrzemski every time I refer to the grandson.   Life’s too short!

You don't keep bringing him up. I give you a pass if you wish to write an article about how he can help the Orioles reach the promised land. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

You don't keep bringing him up. I give you a pass if you wish to write an article about how he can help the Orioles reach the promised land. 

I wonder what his teammates call him.   Legend of Joey might know.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I wonder what his teammates call him.   Legend of Joey might know.  

I think they are all gone. Right? Plus did the Orioles protect Dosch on their AAA roster at the expense of someone who actually was chosen? If so, bad form. 

Archived