Orioles to Sign RHP Gregory Infante: Add another pitcher with high spin breaking ball(s).

Luke-OH

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Where do you find this kinda information from? I’m interested in learning more about this and other things that the Elias crew use. 

It’s just math.     

2782 revolutions per minute = 46.4 revolutions per second    

80 mph x 5280 ft/mi x 1/3600 seconds/hour = 117 feet per second.

It takes 60/117 = .513 seconds for a ball thrown 80 mph to travel 60 feet.

46.4 revolutions per second x .513 seconds = about 23.8 revolutions by the time the ball gets to home plate.

That’s a rough calculation.    To be more precise you’d need to know the exact distance the ball traveled  from the pitcher’s hand to the point where it crossed home plate, which will vary depending on the height and release point of the pitcher, the end location of the pitch when it crosses, and the degree of break on the ball.    But, this gives you a rough idea of how many times that ball spins around in its half-second journey to home plate.   

28 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Man, we are going to be epic bad, I love it. Embrace the suck! #Embracethesuck #Staynotsohungry

Although I agree, it will actually be quite difficult to be worse than last year!

These are the kind of pickups I expected from Elias.  If nothing else, he seems to have a plan and a focus.

All this talk of spin rate got me thinking about knuckleballers and opposite end of the spectrum. So I checked out R.A. Dickey and have to admit I was expecting much slower spin rate. Stephen Wright is in the same neighborhood.

Kuckleball - 1530

Four Seamer - 1878

Eephus - 1002 ?

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s just math.     

2782 revolutions per minute = 46.4 revolutions per second    

80 mph x 5280 ft/mi x 1/3600 seconds/hour = 117 feet per second.

It takes 60/117 = .513 seconds for a ball thrown 80 mph to travel 60 feet.

46.4 revolutions per second x .513 seconds = about 23.8 revolutions by the time the ball gets to home plate.

That’s a rough calculation.    To be more precise you’d need to know the exact distance the ball traveled  from the pitcher’s hand to the point where it crossed home plate, which will vary depending on the height and release point of the pitcher, the end location of the pitch when it crosses, and the degree of break on the ball.    But, this gives you a rough idea of how many times that ball spins around in its half-second journey to home plate.   

A 92 MPH fastball at 2200 RPM is going to travel on an ‘average’ path to the plate.

If this 92 MPH fastball is thrown at 1800 RPM that means less spin, less Magnus force meaning the ball will drop further over its course to the plate than the ‘average’ fastball described above.

If this 92 MPH fastball is thrown at 2400 RPM that means more spin, more Magnus force meaning the ball will drop less over its course to the plate the the ‘average’ fastball.

These are small enough differences that a batter would not be able to tell before they decide to swing, but the balls will end up at different heights by the time they reach the plate.

spinrate.gif

https://www.drivelinebaseball.com/2016/11/spin-rate-what-we-know-now/

Archived