Arbitration figures due tomorrow for Villar, Bundy and Givens

Frobby

Funny, this topic got a lot of attention in past years, but nobody’s really mentioned it this year.    Here’s MLBTR’s estimate of what these players will receive in arbitration:

Villar (Arb-2): $4.4 mm

Givens (Arb-1): $2 mm

Bundy (Arb-1): $3 mm

Both Givens and Bundy seem a little high to me.   Brach, who is comparable to Givens IMO, earned $1.25 mm in Arb-1.    Cashner made $2.4 mm in Arb-1; Bud Norris made $3 mm.    Those are reasonable comps for Bundy but he was way worse last year than either of those guys the year before they were arb-eligible.     

Don't think too many people are worried about our payroll for 2019.

Guess I'm most interested in how our coaching staff shakes out right now and obviously like the rest of the world I want the Machado and Harper sweepstakes to end.

My Smouse search of the forums just now only found 2017 results about none of the gaps being big enough to warrant his participation.  I'm guessing that means he sat out last year as well, and maybe this is 3 in a row as I wouldn't guess any major differentials this year. 

I wonder if we will explore a multi-year agreement with Bundy to set Arb-2, or maybe even Arb-3.  I wouldn't mind getting those settled before we see what the secret sauce can do for him, and think cost certainty would only help assuming he pitches sufficiently well to have a market.

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

My Smouse search of the forums just now only found 2017 results about none of the gaps being big enough to warrant his participation.  I'm guessing that means he sat out last year as well, and maybe this is 3 in a row as I wouldn't guess any major differentials this year. 

I wonder if we will explore a multi-year agreement with Bundy to set Arb-2, or maybe even Arb-3.  I wouldn't mind getting those settled before we see what the secret sauce can do for him, and think cost certainty would only help assuming he pitches sufficiently well to have a market.

Smouse left his positions as head of litigation at the Law Offices of Peter Angelos and General Counsel of the Orioles in 2015.    He now has his own firm, Smouse & Mason.  I don’t know his exact age, but he graduated law school in 1958, so he’s roughly 85 years old.    Don’t expect to see him in any arbitration cases for the O’s.

Some results being reported this afternoon:

Arb-2 MI:

Marcus Semien 5.9M, Jurickson Profar 3.6M, Addison Russell 3.4M, Miguel Rojas 3.2M, Devon Travis 1.9M

I think Villar is a bit behind Profar/Russell at baseball.

Arb-1 SP:

Andrew Heaney 3.4M, Matt Boyd 2.6M, Tyler Anderson 2.6M, Mike Montgomery 2.4M, Junior Guerra 2.2M, Daniel Norris 1.3M

I think Bundy, for now at least, is more like Boyd/Anderson than Heaney.

Arb-1 RP:

CJ Edwards 1.5M, Taylor Rogers 1.5M, Alex Claudio 1.3M, Chaz Roe 1.3M, Adam Conley 1.1M, Adam Morgan 1.1M

Givens's main edge on Edwards is an extra 100 innings of work (and a few saves). 

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Some results being reported this afternoon:

Arb-2 MI:

Marcus Semien 5.9M, Jurickson Profar 3.6M, Addison Russell 3.4M, Miguel Rojas 3.2M, Devon Travis 1.9M

I think Villar is a bit behind Profar/Russell at baseball.

Profar had a big reputation as a prospect but hasn’t produced much, partly due to injuries.  Villar has about double the plate appearances and 4 times the WAR.   I’d expect Villar to earn more.   

Archived