Doug Brocail is the Pitching Coach

interloper

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tell me more.   Does that mean that Brocail wasn't in to analytics in 2012-13 and didn't get Keuchel interested?   Did it have to do with Strom becoming coach and stressing analytics? Or was it that Keuchel wouldn't listen to anyone on analytics until 2014?

I don't recall them mentioning Brocail. I just recall Kuechel becoming more aware of analytics and using them to his advantage due to his plus-plus command.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't recall them mentioning Brocail. I just recall Kuechel becoming more aware of analytics and using them to his advantage due to his plus-plus command.

From what I have read Brent Strom who took over as the 2014 Astros pitching coach is very good at teaching pitchers how to use analytics.  He came from the Cardinals where he was in their minor leagues.   I think we may find that Strom was the one of the main reasons why Kuechel got interested in analytics in 2014.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From what I have read Brent Strom who took over as the 2014 Astros pitching coach is very good at teaching pitchers how to use analytics.  He came from the Cardinals where is managed in the minor leagues.   I think we may find that Strom was the one of the main reasons why Kuechel got interested in analytics in 2014.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/157694588-dallas-keuchel-credits-success-to-coaching.amp.html

Not much talk of analytics here, but Keuchel did give Strom a lot of credit for his success.  

On 1/18/2019 at 1:53 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

Does anyone remember that weird interview Dave Trembley gave sometime after he left?  I just remember finding it on BillJamesonline or something, and posting exerpts.  It really sounded like Dave had a few beers and expected it to be off the record.  But he came right out and said Cabrera had been taking gallons of horse steroids.

Edit: It's still here.  The quote was Cabrera had been "throwing at people out of turn and juicing like crazy."

Wow. I did not see this. Thanks for posting this. Most of what I know re: DCab were from players wives/girlfriends. It was pretty well known in the clubhouse how much of a steroid junky DCab was. Interesting to see Trembley just come out and spill the beans. That's a rarity in this industry from a manager.

Archived