Ramon Hernandez to the Yankees?

My O's Face

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does Ramon call a good game? I dont think he does. His fielding is awful and he cant make a throw.

I think Ramon is just a DH now.

He wouldn't catch for my team - so while I sort of agree with your conclusion, I don't agree with how you got there. He has defended well this season - though he is lazy with blocking pitches, and he doesn't get run on much. The big problem with him is he doesn't help his pitchers. He's the only catcher I've ever seen who usually does not provide a target for them. And he's never mastered the art of framing a pitch for umpires.

But other teams might see things differently - especially if they have veteran pitchers that don't need a lot of help. A team like the Yankees might see him as an asset - especially when they look at their Molina's awful batting stats.

They wouldn't trade the face of the franchise. Besides, Jeter is one of the most overrated players in the game, IMO.

So if Jeter is overrrated, and he's the face of the Yankees franchise, does that make them an overrated franchise? :D

That's the point. I don't care what junk we get in return. The point is to dump that crap salary he's making.

Of all the problems the O's have, salary isn't one of them.

I've been a Ramon critic longer than most. I never thought he was much of a C. I think the greenie ban has hurt him more than most: AFAIK that's exactly when he came down with a case of the lazies. But the fact of the matter is that his RISP-OPS is .931. That's not junk. IMO, the Ramon bashing has rapidly become just another bandwagon.

If they throw in A-Rod and eat some salary, maybe I'd consider it.:) Bashing Ramon has not become a bandwagon. I know rshack likes to play contrarian and anyone who diasgrees with him is irrational and simply on a witch hunt.:rolleyestf: It is justified criticism based on observation of his play over a long period of time. His defense has quite simply regressed. His hitting is starting to heat up but has been below average especially considering salary. Sure, he's done well with RISP which could probably be attributed mostly to statistical anomaly more than anything else. The idea that his salary means nothing is silly. We have a finite amount of resources. The money owed him could be far better allocated elsewhere. If we can get another team to pick up most or all of his salary, we will have done ourselves quite a service. Especially because I hear we might have a halfway decent catching prospect on the way.

What is it with the O's catchers? First it was Javy and now Ramon. When they come here they're the best pickup; fast forward a year or two and you can't run them out off town fast enough.

Kei Igawa and a low level prospect would be alright. Maybe Igawa will have a Kazuo Matsui-like breakout after leaving NYC.

How much longer is Igawa under contract? If its just this year and next, this could be a move that could make some sense. Igawa could be one of those "change of scenery" guys.

If the Yankees are watching then maybe Hernandez is getting hot at the right time;)

i was thinking the same thing. ramon's stock is rising up the chart at least a little with the way he's been hitting the ball the past few games...

I know it is fashionable to dump on Ramon, but at least his offense has come around the last two months. Since May 27, he has hit .277/.337/.473. On the year, his OPS finally cracked .700 yesterday for the first time since April 5. Among 30 catchers with 200+ plate appearances, Ramon's OPS now ranks 20th, and there are plenty of guys who are only a little bit ahead of him. The way Ramon has been hitting, I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish with a .750 OPS that would have him in the top half of all catchers, offensively.

.707 OPS after tonight. Ramon ranks 2nd among all AL catchers in HR and RBI.

They wouldn't trade the face of the franchise. Besides, Jeter is one of the most overrated players in the game, IMO.

He's also having an off year, or maybe this is just the start of his decline.

He's also having an off year, or maybe this is just the start of his decline.

True, but he's hitting the ball well right now. He got off to a bad start, but if you take away like the fisrt 6 weeks or something... he's batting around .280. That's a good sales pitch...

Archived