Esskay Orioles Franks — a Baltimore mainstay — to disappear soon from Camden Yards

Going Underground

13 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Tell us more about the Iceland hot dogs. Were they reindeer dogs? Elk dogs? I am being serious. I hope you understand and can appreciate my interest, as I enjoy food. It's the offseason, after all.

Definitely a snap from the natural casing.  I think it's a combination of lamb, pork and beef.  They typically come served with a kind of sweet brown mustard, remoulade, and both crispy fried onions (like the kind in that disgusting green bean casserole) and raw onions.  Here's some more information.  They're probably not as mind-blowing as I am making them out to be, but in a country where most food has to be flown in from overseas they're local, cheap, and good.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/23/2019 at 8:48 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Ok...why?

EDIT:  Duh, Esskay discontinued production.  That's damn sad.  Cheesy to say, I loved getting those when I was a kid at the grocery store.

In that Ripken poster, love Dempsey and Boddicker's names on their lockers.  

Production costs. Esskay Orioles dogs, was only sold in the Baltimore market and made up only 1% of their sales.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

That sounds terrible.  Not a fan of Berger cookies.  Too sweet. 

Yeah, I don't like sweet drinks at all.   Not beers, or anything else.   I pretty much exist on unsweetened iced teas.   If I drink sodas they tend towards the citrusy rather than the sweet, and I don't drink many sodas at all, usually only when there's no unsweetened iced tea available.

There are a few chocolatey stouts that I can drink and enjoy, though.   In moderation.

4 hours ago, Woody Held said:

Just give me a Polock Johnny’s with the red sauce

Hopefully they're still at the ballpark... right field corner area of the lower deck.

Just picked up a package of Polock Johnny's dogs when I was grocery shopping last weekend.

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, I don't like sweet drinks at all.   Not beers, or anything else.   I pretty much exist on unsweetened iced teas.   If I drink sodas they tend towards the citrusy rather than the sweet, and I don't drink many sodas at all, usually only when there's no unsweetened iced tea available.

There are a few chocolatey stouts that I can drink and enjoy, though.   In moderation.

My Grandma Smith's iced tea had so much sugar you could stand the spoon up in it.  You can't think about it without also channeling Wilfred Brimley talking about the die-a-beet-us. Sometimes I'll put two cups of sugar in a pitcher of iced tea just for old times sake.

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

JO is, or at least was, significantly less expensive when purchased in commercial quanities.

I've had a commercial size container of the product and while it does a fine job seasoning steamed crabs it isn't as versatile.

I think cost is a factor in its use in restaurants.

Of course cost is a factor. I don't know whether McCormick packages Old Bay in commercial quantities. btw: when you see a crab joint with private label crab spice, it is usually J.O. No. 1.

To my palate, Old Bay is a slightly bitter because it is a little too salty. That's why I prefer the J.O. No.1 50% Less Salt -- that's far more versatile than No. 1 or Old Bay, imo.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I love that vendor who writes “Orioles” in script on your hotdog with the mustard.   Would hate to see him not able to ply his craft.    Hopefully they’ll just sell another brand of hotdogs out there.   

Bader says will announce either a local brand or regional brand of hot dog when they announce new food items this year. 

15 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Maybe licensing fees also contributed to their decision to stop producing Orioles dogs.

It could very well be, but the article I had read, statement from the company simply said it was a business decision to cut costs, as the Baltimore area only accounted for 1% of their hot dog sales.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

It could very well be, but the article I had read, statement from the company simply said it was a business decision to cut costs, as the Baltimore area only accounted for 1% of their hot dog sales.

I thought you said that Orioles hot dogs made up 1% of sales, not that 1% of hot dog sales were sold in the Baltimore area.

23 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Production costs. Esskay Orioles dogs, was only sold in the Baltimore market and made up only 1% of their sales.

Seems not believable that the Baltimore area makes up only 1% of their hot dog sales. Esskay claims it is "BALTIMORE’S OWN SINCE 1858!" after all.

Which is it?

4 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I thought you said that Orioles hot dogs made up 1% of sales, not that 1% of hot dog sales were sold in the Baltimore area.

Seems not believable that the Baltimore area makes up only 1% of their hot dog sales. Esskay claims it is "BALTIMORE’S OWN SINCE 1858!" after all.

Which is it?

Esskay hot dogs, promoted by former Orioles great Cal Ripken Jr. in the 1980s, were made in Baltimore until 1985, when Smithfield bought the brand.

In 1993, Smithfield shut down the 72-year-old ham and sausage making plant on East Baltimore Street in Highlandtown that employed 500 people. The hot dogs had been produced most recently at Smithfield plants in Ohio and North Carolina, according to the company. Production stopped during the last three months of last year

If you have a product that is produced for all 50 states and outside the US of A, then why cant you see Baltimore only making up 1% of sales?

Archived