Esskay Orioles Franks — a Baltimore mainstay — to disappear soon from Camden Yards

Going Underground

26 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If you have a product that is produced for all 50 states and outside the US of A, then why cant you see Baltimore only making up 1% of sales?

34 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I thought you said that Orioles hot dogs made up 1% of sales, not that 1% of hot dog sales were sold in the Baltimore area.

Seems not believable that the Baltimore area makes up only 1% of their hot dog sales. Esskay claims it is "BALTIMORE’S OWN SINCE 1858!" after all.

Which is it?

I think it comes down to paying the Orioles for their name on the packaging.  Otherwise there is no real cost to putting Orioles on packaging on the hot dogs they sell in 49 other states.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, atomic said:

I think it comes down to paying the Orioles for their name on the packaging.  Otherwise there is no real cost to putting Orioles on packaging on the hot dogs they sell in 49 other states.  

I am sure that is part of it, and shutting down the line to switch over to produce oriole dogs, does count time and time is money.

Bottom line, production costs outweighed the revenue and viola, no more Oriole Dogs.

When I was raised, we ate hotdogs at least once a week, they were cheap, and money was not to be wasted. We dined out, once a month, if we was good, and that was McDonalds.

When I was raising my kids as a young married man, we ate dogs, at least once a week, they was cheap. :)

Now adays, people go out to eat, 3-5 times a week or more. Not to mention all the eat out lunches.

Unheard of, when I was young. :)

26 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If you have a product that is produced for all 50 states and outside the US of A, then why cant you see Baltimore only making up 1% of sales?

If this is true, would not Baltimore have been making up approximately 1% of national sales for decades? What changed? Suddenly the Baltimore market collapsed while the rest of the national market remained stable? That seems totally unbelievable. 

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

Esskay is sold in all 50 states!?! I doubt it. Can you provide a source?

Esskay is owned by Smithfield Foods, which is a national brand of food store deli meat.

So maybe I misspoke, and its smithfield hotdogs at other locations and Esskay is only for Baltimore.

Doesnt really change anything.

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

If this is true, would not Baltimore have been making up approximately 1% of national sales for decades? What changed? Suddenly the Baltimore market collapsed while the rest of the national market remained stable? That seems totally unbelievable. 

Maybe, more likely, people aren't eating the same amount of hotdogs they used to.

I know they used to be a staple of my diet, and now, I rarely get one.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Esskay is owned by Smithfield Foods, which is a national brand of food store deli meat.

So maybe I misspoke, and its smithfield hotdogs at other locations and Esskay is only for Baltimore.

Doesnt really change anything.

On 1/24/2019 at 11:37 AM, Redskins Rick said:

Production costs. Esskay Orioles dogs, was only sold in the Baltimore market and made up only 1% of their sales.

Changes everything: Esskay was never a national brand: "Esskay hot dogs,  (were) sold mostly in the Baltimore-Washington market with some sales in neighboring states." The Baltimore market alone was probably 50% of their hot dog sales, not 1%. This percentage would have been holding steady for decades. Suggesting that the Baltimore market for hot dogs dropped precipitously to 1% of international hot dog sales while all other markets remained steady is the stuff of fantasy.

Also, it's not Esskay hot dogs comprising 1% of Esskay's meat sales, but all of their hot dogs comprising less that 1% of sales. That is why Esskay will discontinue ALL hot dog production, not just Orioles dogs, while continuing to manufacture other packaged meats.

13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe, more likely, people aren't eating the same amount of hotdogs they used to.

I know they used to be a staple of my diet, and now, I rarely get one.

If this is true, it flies in the face of the claim that it is solely the Baltimore market that has collapsed.

4 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Changes everything: Esskay was never a national brand: "Esskay hot dogs,  (were) sold mostly in the Baltimore-Washington market with some sales in neighboring states." The Baltimore market alone was probably 50% of their hot dog sales, not 1%. This percentage would have been holding steady for decades. Suggesting that the Baltimore market for hot dogs dropped precipitously to 1% of international hot dog sales while all other markets remained steady is the stuff of fantasy.

Also, it's not Esskay hot dogs comprising 1% of Esskay's meat sales, but all of their hot dogs comprising less that 1% of sales. That is why Esskay will discontinue ALL hot dog production, not just Orioles dogs, while continuing to manufacture other packaged meats.

I see, interesting

35 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I am sure that is part of it, and shutting down the line to switch over to produce oriole dogs, does count time and time is money.

Bottom line, production costs outweighed the revenue and viola, no more Oriole Dogs.

When I was raised, we ate hotdogs at least once a week, they were cheap, and money was not to be wasted. We dined out, once a month, if we was good, and that was McDonalds.

When I was raising my kids as a young married man, we ate dogs, at least once a week, they was cheap. :)

Now adays, people go out to eat, 3-5 times a week or more. Not to mention all the eat out lunches.

Unheard of, when I was young. :)

The Council estimates Americans consume 20 billion hot dogs a year - more than twice the retail sales figures. That works out to about 70 hot dogs per person each year. Hot dogs are served in 95 percent of homes in the United States.

That is pretty amazing that American's eat 70 hot dogs a year. I don't eat any so someone is making up for my lack of consumption.  I guess this is an income based thing.  Maryland has the highest median income in the country.  So perhaps we aren't the main hot dog market anymore.

26 minutes ago, atomic said:
The Council estimates Americans consume 20 billion hot dogs a year - more than twice the retail sales figures. That works out to about 70 hot dogs per person each year. Hot dogs are served in 95 percent of homes in the United States.

That is pretty amazing that American's eat 70 hot dogs a year. I don't eat any so someone is making up for my lack of consumption.  I guess this is an income based thing.  Maryland has the highest median income in the country.  So perhaps we aren't the main hot dog market anymore.

I wonder if hotdog sells at the stadiums and all the 7-11, WAWA type stores, helps account for some of that total? If you are hungry, even a 7-11 hotdog works, and there aren't any other options around. :):):)

37 minutes ago, atomic said:

Who is "The Council"?  If it's some meat industry lobbying group I'd assume their estimate is exaggerated, maybe by a lot.  I have kids and we eat hot dogs with some frequency, but I doubt we average 12 per person per year.  But perhaps people with lower incomes eat a lot more, since you can buy store brand for a few dollars a pack.

Archived