2019 Spring Training Tracker

Tony-OH

24 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I still think he should be moved there, I haven’t changed my position, but I know some who want an average glove at every position would be unhappy with it. I think he could be a Daniel Murphy type there.

I don’t think the goal should be to find the position he’s good at, but to find the most valuable position he can play passably. 

I’m happy with a Murphy comp. People need to temper their defensive expectations.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I still think he should be moved there, I haven’t changed my position, but I know some who want an average glove at every position would be unhappy with it. I think he could be a Daniel Murphy type there.

I don’t think the goal should be to find the position he’s good at, but to find the most valuable position he can play passably. 

While I would have zero issues with trying him at 2B, I don't think the long arm action and lack of arm speed/strength would not allow him to turn the double play effectively or make any plays up the middle. On top of it, I think he would have below average range at second base. If you are willing to live with a well below average defensive second baseman, then sure, give him a shot, but I'm guessing that Elias is trying to sure up the defense up the middle so that won't work. 

Saying all that, if they wanted to give that a shot at AAA and see how it plays, no problem but at this point, I'd still put him in left field and see how he does.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

link?

Also in Rochs blog:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/kremer-unable-to-throw-due-to-oblique-strain.html

"Pitcher Gregory Infante is missing from camp due to an illness that’s keeping him in Venezuela, according to manager Brandon Hyde.

Infante, 31, signed a minor league deal with the Orioles in January after making 10 relief appearances with the White Sox last year and allowing eight runs and 12 hits with eight walks in nine innings.

“He has an illness that he has to stay back for,” Hyde said, “and as soon as we can get clearance to get him over here, he’s going to be welcomed over here and have the care that he needs over here.”

Hyde didn’t know how long Infante has been in his present condition."

On 2/13/2019 at 2:29 PM, Luke-OH said:

Murphy played second for a few years. He's no longer a second baseman. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Murphy played second for a few years. He's no longer a second baseman. 

He played more innings at 2B than anywhere else in 2018. He has more innings at 2B (7080) in his career than all other positions combined by a large margin (2948). I think it's pretty safe to call him a 2B for the purpose of this comparison. 

Archived