Orioles sign Nate Karns

interloper

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

He did but he would have signed him to a minor league deal.  What was that pitcher with the injury issues we signed that used be really good and he opted out and went with another team. 

Like he signed Cobb and Cashner? 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, atomic said:

Harvey had a 0.9 WAR total last season. Negative WAR in 2016 and 2017.    Compare that to when he came back from Tommy John when he had a 4.8 WAR.   Ross 0.7 WAR last season. Negative WAR the years before.  He was a 3+ WAR pitcher the year before the surgery.  

Harvey had the surgery at the end of 2016. By the 21-month mark, which is where Karns will be at the start of the season, he was a productive pitcher on a 2 rWAR pace  Ross was significantly better by the 21-month mark. Saying they "can't pitch". is demonstrably false.

32 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Again do you think Mike E. would sign any player that he hadn't checked out or  had others check out? 

For $800K, to take a chance that he could bounce back?   Sure.   All you are giving up is $800K and whoever you bump off the 40 man roster (Donnie Hart?).   And that's if Hart gets claimed.

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's got an option. It basically is like a minor league deal crossed with a waiver claim

Plus he is under team control for the next season.  I guess if he doesn't do anything this year the hope is he might do something next year.  I wouldn't mind this so much if it wasn't the only guy we have signed to a major league deal.  Plus he is 31.  He had one decent season when he was 27 in a pitchers park.   Pretty bad in 2016 once again in a pitchers park.  Not sure what he brings other than striking out a lot of people. 

Karns if healthy is a serviceable 5th SP, better than Cashner.

He’s cheap and he’s controllable in 2020 if he works out.

Him and Martin Perez were the most interesting SP targets for me and Perez got paid more than I think it made sense for the O’s to pay.

At 800K, it’s a no-brainer.

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

Plus he is under team control for the next season.  I guess if he doesn't do anything this year the hope is he might do something next year.  I wouldn't mind this so much if it wasn't the only guy we have signed to a major league deal.  Plus he is 31.  He had one decent season when he was 27 in a pitchers park.   Pretty bad in 2016 once again in a pitchers park.  Not sure what he brings other than striking out a lot of people. 

How does that work?   You sign a guy to a 1 year contract and he is still under team control the next year?   I thought that only occurred with your original club?   Once you had been cut and picked up by another team, does the years of team control, pre-arb, arb, etc., still apply?

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

How does that work?   You sign a guy to a 1 year contract and he is still under team control the next year?   I thought that only occurred with your original club?   Once you had been cut and picked up by another team, does the years of team control, pre-arb, arb, etc., still apply?

Yep still applies. He will be eligible for arbitration next winter.  

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Sure, it is an issue of service time.

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I too am not sure what he brings other than the greatest indicator of future success (k/rate and k/bb rate).

It’s all a matter of whether he’s the same pitcher following all the injuries and whether he can stay healthy.   For $800 k we can find out.  Also, they can cut him before spring training is over and save most of the money if it’s clear he can’t pitch, right?

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s all a matter of whether he’s the same pitcher following all the injuries and whether he can stay healthy.   For $800 k we can find out.  Also, they can cut him before spring training is over and save most of the money if it’s clear he can’t pitch, right?

Yup, although with an option I would be surprised if they cut him loose unless he is throwing 85 or something silly.

Archived