Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

weams

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Joe for your dedication to Orioles baseball! I grew up listening to Joe on the radio, and my dad still watches every game with the TV volume off and the radio turned on, mainly to listen to Joe. I'm going to miss his signature call at the end of each Orioles victory, "Orioles...are in...the win! column!"

I'm hoping Adam Pohl gets an opportunity to broadcast Orioles games. He has been calling Frederick Keys and Baysox games since 2006 and really knows the young players in the system.

https://staatalent.com/client/adam-pohl/

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I take it this is a decision between Joe and ownership.  I doubt Elias is involved.

The article is not clear if its Joe deciding to retire or ownership deciding to be go another direction.

Stop rumor mongering. The guy is 71 and he hasn't commented yet. There would be no reason for ownership to not want him back. He is a treasure.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Stop rumor mongering. The guy is 71 and he hasn't commented yet.

Just because someone is 71 does not mean that they want to retire.    Joe's comment in the article sounds like he may have been thinking about cutting back but its not clear.

With what the O's are facing on the field I would not blame him if he wanted to not be a part of that.

Yeah, he's getting up there in age.  I hope the O's do him justice with a bobble head or a t-shirt night.  He is my favorite sports announcer of all time.  I love you Joe Angel.  Your sense of humor, your courage to criticize when necessary, your pure enthusiasm.  I can only assume you are a good man based on how you have handled yourself in your role for these past few decades.  O's Hall of Famer, no doubt.

Just now, wildcard said:

Just because someone is 71 does not mean that they want to retire.    Joe's comment in the article sounds like he may have been thinking about cutting back but it not clear.

If what the O's are facing on the field I would not blame him if he wanted to not be a part of that.

Both you and weams with his quotation marks are suggesting in this thread that it is something other then retirement. We'll see but it's irresponsible at this stage especially when he himself said he could see himself hanging it up at 71.

It's always gotta be drama around here. Stop.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Both you and weams with his quotation marks are suggesting in this thread that it is something other then retirement. We'll see but it's irresponsible at this stage especially when he himself said he could see himself hanging it up at 71.

It's always gotta be drama around here. Stop.

Sorry, I didn't know you were in charge of what is responsible to post and what is not.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sorry, I didn't know you were in charge of what is responsible to post and what is not.

I'm not. I'm gonna let you know what I think though! And I think that you have no actual reason to think this has anything to do with ownership at this stage. Why would you? Nor does weams,but he's gonna suggest it with quotes and plant that seed bc that's how he operates on this board.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not. I'm gonna let you know what I think though! And I think that you have no actual reason to think this has anything to do with ownership at this stage. Why would you?

1) It's not for sure anything is happening with Joe because it is not official.  It quotes an unknown industry source

2) Joe declined to  comment.   Which means he was asked and didn't want to say.

3) He has a year left of his contract.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

1) It's not for sure anything is happening with Joe because it is not official.  It quotes an unknown industry source

2) Joe declined to  comment.   Which means he was ask and didn't want to say.

3) He has a year left of his contract.

All of these points are irrelevant. Maybe he's not 100% sure. People retire with contract years left all the time. He said he could see himself not coming back. You can't just be released from a contract - it's a contract! - so it would have to be his decision.

Archived