Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I still wonder from the tone of that article whether he might just hang it all up or could be enticed to do so.  I think this is what the Orioles should pursue: 

"Listen Chris, we sense you've had enough.  Enough of feeling low, not performing how you'd like to... let us buy you out.  You can take a year or two and figure things out on your own.  And if you want to make a comeback after that, you'll be free to do so.  How does $_____________ sound.  We wish you all the best."

What's the number?  Would he consider anything or would he come back for more punishment - so to speak.  It obviously is draining him.

54 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Do you think the O's will keep him on the roster for the entire duration of his contract if he keeps playing at this level?  I don't.  So who blinks first?  CD's guaranteed the the entire amount on his contract, all he has to do is show up for work when required.  I think the O's cut him by the AS break next season unless he drastically improves.

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To above replacement level?

I have a hard time seeing them eat that kind of money, even if it is an obvious sunk cost.

CoC, I can see them dumping him, but I don't disagree that the organization would find it difficult.  But I do like the who blinks first question raised, altho, Davis has most "hand" in that.

But I'm still wondering what dollar amount would it take for CD to take the buyout.  He sounds DONE from reading article.  So that's being the case, if he walks away, he gets nothing more because he hasn't fulfilled the contract.  But if he wants to go because he is done, how much would be a reasonable offer to get him to accept so he's gone?  That's what I'm interested in finding out what people think. 

I guess the assumption that would have to be made by others is that he is as miserable as he seems in the article and all it would take is a nudge to push him into accepting a buyout.  How much of a nudge then?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

To above replacement level?

I have a hard time seeing them eat that kind of money, even if it is an obvious sunk cost.

Replacement level would be where the decision for the O's gets interesting IMO.  I don't think a rebuilding club can have the Chris Davis story in the clubhouse day in and day out below that baseline.  Yeah, it will hurt financially, but I think a good business case can be made to write off the cost even at $23 million per rather that expect people to watch him play when it's clear he's severely overmatched.

By all means try the buyout, but I think restructuring the full obligation is likely to have more success if the deal gets altered at all.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I still wonder from the tone of that article whether he might just hang it all up or could be enticed to do so.  I think this is what the Orioles should pursue: 

"Listen Chris, we sense you've had enough.  Enough of feeling low, not performing how you'd like to... let us buy you out.  You can take a year or two and figure things out on your own.  And if you want to make a comeback after that, you'll be free to do so.  How does $_____________ sound.  We wish you all the best."

What's the number?  Would he consider anything or would he come back for more punishment - so to speak.  It obviously is draining him.

No I don't think they should do that ... the Os should wait for Davis to come to them.   

Edited by GuidoSarducci

I think the O's should still give him the 2.5 million or whatever each year until 2037 or whatever, starting in 2019 to walk away.  If they're going to waste that money on Tillman and Rasmus, a better spend would be to have Chris Davis NOT show up to spring training and not be on the team next year.   

Hell, Davis has more value at 2.5 million a year and not playing than he does being out there every day.  The Orioles are better giving Davis money not to play.

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the O's should still give him the 2.5 million or whatever each year until 2037 or whatever, starting in 2019 to walk away.  If they're going to waste that money on Tillman and Rasmus, a better spend would be to have Chris Davis NOT show up to spring training and not be on the team next year.   

Hell, Davis has more value at 2.5 million a year and not playing than he does being out there every day.  The Orioles are better giving Davis money not to play.

This!  I was thinking the same thing.  Wonder if others are in agreement.  Not that it matters what we think. ;)

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, SomethingMagicHappens said:

Ask him to politely retire & reach a financial settlement with him.

Or, have him injure something so that disability insurance kicks in & he can get paid to watch from his sofa.

Or, bat him 9th every night & shame him into retiring.  

Anything that gets him off the roster ASAP has to be considered.

If it comes to it, you don't play him at all with the exception of mop-up duty.  Davis has made $96 million in his career, he will be receiving deferred money from the Orioles, basically he has a choice assuming he cannot return to being a respectable ballplayer:

1.  Ride the bench the next four years, hardly playing and spending lots of time away from his family

2.  Accept a buyout and spend lots of time with his family

Either way he is set for life financially and his life style will not change unless he did something incredibly stupid. 

I wonder if having a new manager, who isn't Chris's longtime champion from his days in Texas, will affect him.   Buck had Chris's back, played him way more than he should have given his performance.   Could be very different with a new manager, especially if it's someone from outside the organization.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I wonder if having a new manager, who isn't Chris's longtime champion from his days in Texas, will affect him.   Buck had Chris's back, played him way more than he should have given his performance.   Could be very different with a new manager, especially if it's someone from outside the organization.

Now you have me worried a change is going to negatively impact his performance.

• Haha 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Now you have me worried a change is going to negatively impact his performance.

I was thinking more on the lines of being more willing to accept some sort of buyout and end his Oriole tenure if the new manager was more likely to bury him on the bench than Buck would have been.

Roch repeated again today that Chris Davis's contract went against the wishes of Dan Duquette.

"He [DD] wasn’t in favor of signing Chris Davis to a seven-year, $161 million contract, but it will go down in history as happening under his watch."

For me this is final confirmation. Roch knows. I'm not sure anything else matters -- who the manager is, who the GM is, what Brady's role is. As long as the Angelos Family meddles in the baseball decisions and as long as their is no clear chain of command, this organization is going to suffer. ?

• Upvote 1