Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

20 hours ago, SteveA said:

Yes, and his spring OPS is .717, which is 187 points higher than last year.

This is the IMPROVED Chris Davis we are seeing this spring.

[Showing my work:   the hit was a HR, so slugging = 4/9 = .444.   He has two walks so far, so OBP = 3/11 = .273.   OPS = .717].

Analytics doing its job!

Some good quotes here.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/davis-seeks-to-give-orioles-their-money-s-worth-in-2019-022819

Anything above what I did last year, I guess would be considered successful,

As a concession to his age, Davis cut back on his weightlifting during the offseason and stayed on a strict diet.

“Everybody keeps telling me I look skinny, so I guess that’s a compliment,” he said. “I feel more ready this time than I did last year. That’s saying a lot, because I felt like I was going to have a really good year last year going into spring training.

Davis hopes his work with Long will help him succeed against the shift. By vacating the left side of the infield and puting a fielder in short right field, opponents have denied the left-handed pull hitter countless potential hits.

“It’s definitely taken a toll on me,” Davis said. “It’s killing me as far as my average is concerned.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Never seen that before at the MLB level even if it is spring training.  

I actually remember Rod Carew doing that any number of times, although he always seemed completely in control when he did it. He would anticipate some sort of breaking ball, and take a couple of steps forward in the batters box during the windup, so that he could hit the ball before it broke down out of the strike zone.

Of course, that's why he was Rod Carew. I don't imagine very many hitters could do that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Carllamy said:

I actually remember Rod Carew doing that any number of times, although he always seemed completely in control when he did it. He would anticipate some sort of breaking ball, and take a couple of steps forward in the batters box during the windup, so that he could hit the ball before it broke down out of the strike zone.

Of course, that's why he was Rod Carew. I don't imagine very many hitters could do that.

The Babe used to take a crow hop sometimes on off speed pitches.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Goodness, I don't expect to be encouraged, but those are just yuck.

Anything better than last year a success, talk about a low bar. Yeah, I'll be happy if I don't have the worst MLB season in the past 20 years again.

I'm curious why he thinks slimming down is the key to success, but ok.

And the shift again, the boogeyman, I wonder if someone runs the numbers and explains to him that the shift accounts for a tiny portion of his monumental decline, how he'd respond to that. 

50 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Goodness, I don't expect to be encouraged, but those are just yuck.

Anything better than last year a success, talk about a low bar. Yeah, I'll be happy if I don't have the worst MLB season in the past 20 years again.

And the shift again, the boogeyman, I wonder if someone runs the numbers and explains to him that the shift accounts for a tiny portion of his monumental decline, how he'd respond to that. 

I think they have explained that to him.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

This struck me as odd, too.  When he was in his prime, I never thought of him as out of shape or fat.  A big dude for sure and a good bit of muscle, but certainly not a Prince Fielder type.  

If I'm Davis, I'd have gone to Craig Wallenbrock last offseason.  Then again I don't think Wallenbrock can fix a slow bat.