Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

It's not unprecedented to see a decline at this age.  It's unprecedented to see someone far so far fast...but there have been players that started slipping at 32-33.  

It is unprecedented since historically guys were out of baseball after a season like 2018.

1 minute ago, FanSince88 said:

I take no pleasure in any of this.  Playing davis in the short term does help elias inch toward his goal of orioles playoff contention in 2022 or 2023.  Davis alone could make the difference between a first pick and fifth pick next year, if he is several wins below replacement again.  However the integrity of the game is more important.  There has to be some baseline degree of professionalism for regular mlb  players, for the good of the sport.  Davis hasnt hit that arguably since mid 2017.  Baseball is a declining sport right now and davis will help it decline if he keeps playing

Then I think we are pretty much in agreement.  The idea that playing Davis insures our goal of getting a first or a fifth pick, presupposes that Davis is merely close to replacement level that his replacement would be.  He is not.  And even if this part is completely true, the integrity piece becomes more important pretty quickly.  Not to MLB mind you, but to the Orioles and the foundation that is being laid by Elias, Sig, Hyde and the Angelosons. 

Doing the same thing and expecting different results is often erroneously applied to sports.  But three plus years of data are incontrovertible and building a new regime on analytics becomes problematic in the face of Davis' continued fall.  Of course they need time.  But we have moved rapidly from give it a year or two, to give it this year any way, too well, maybe give it till the all star break.

Again, I don't know what the time frame is, but I know it isn't 4 years and it isn't 3 or 2. And it won't be MLB or the Angelosons, though they will have to begrudgingly sign off on the end.  This is going to be between Elias and Davis and the only question is whether Elias can find an honorable way out for Davis.  The options for Davis are increasingly poor and no credible advisor is going to advocate for him retiring, nor should they.

The Orioles let Nelson Cruz walk and one year later signed Chris Davis for much more money.

By the way I though the Albert Belle contract meant the Orioles would never again give ridiculous money to HR sluggers. (note: Belle was way better than Davis.)

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

The Orioles let Nelson Cruz walk and one year later signed Chris Davis for much more money.

By the way I though the Albert Belle contract meant the Orioles would never again give ridiculous money to HR sluggers. (note: Belle was way better than Davis.)

I'm okay with Cruz walking but I'm not okay with Markakis walking the same year. I'll always be disappointed in that and they be part of the reason I dislike Davis and his contract so much. I always liked Markakis.

30 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I'm okay with Cruz walking but I'm not okay with Markakis walking the same year. I'll always be disappointed in that and they be part of the reason I dislike Davis and his contract so much. I always liked Markakis.

And we thought Markakis's hitting was declining at the time. I thought too. That was before Davis told us to hold his beer.

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

A few weeks ago on MLB Network Radio, Mike Ferrin asked Jim Duquette if that was his cousin's idea. Duquette said that it wasn't, but that he couldn't say anything else about it.

6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

A few weeks ago on MLB Network Radio, Mike Ferrin asked Jim Duquette if that was his cousin's idea. Duquette said that it wasn't, but that he couldn't say anything else about it.

We all pretty much were saying as much. It's a classic Pete deal. An all out battle with Boras that Boras won.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

The interesting thing about Ventura being on this list of hitless PA's is that he still holds the NCAA D-1 record for most consecutive  games with a hit (58 games.)

18 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Mildly reminiscent of the fact that the University of Virginia basketball team is playing in the national championship game one year after an embarrassing, history-making loss to 16-seed Maryland-Baltimore County.

o

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, that’'a stretch ........  

o

That's why I said "mildly reminiscent."

o

Right now the team and Davis are waiting to see who blinks first. Davis probably knows he can no longer play, but his contract is keeping him going. The team knows if they cut him, Davis will walk away with his entire contract.