Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

I served as an economic adviser to the Baltimore Orioles from 2012 to 2018, and my O’s boss at the time, VP for Baseball Operations Dan Duquette, had me working on economic evaluations of a new contract for Mr. Davis starting in August of 2015; none of the contemplated offers went beyond four years. I confidently wagered Mr. Duquette a lavish lunch in Little Italy that Mr. Davis’ value on the open market would be less than nine figures, overall.

Breaking down the numbers during Orioles first baseman Chris Davis' record-breaking hitless streak »

Orioles reset: When will the results from early player-evaluation tests become final?

I lost that bet, of course. But Mr. Duquette and I were both dismayed that the winning bidder would, eventually, be us. On Mr. Angelos’s request, we had evaluated successively higher offers to Mr. Davis, all of which promised “red ink” in Baltimore’s small, revenue-constrained market. When Mr. Davis turned those offers down, we moved on, trading for Mark Trumbo in early December 2015.

Mr. Trumbo was a slugger who had been playing out of position in right field. With just a year left before his own free agency, Mr. Duquette figured he would be a motivated replacement for Mr. Davis at first base — after which prospects Trey Mancini or Christian Walker might be ready.

But voices within and outside the organization stressed Mr. Davis’ value on the field (though he had, in 2014, already shown a worrying tendency to slump for extended periods) and raised concerns about the P.R. hit if a star attraction was lost. And so, in January, Mr. Angelos made the commitment that he no doubt regrets.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-0410-chris-davis-20190409-story.html

• Upvote 2

A friend of mine just revealed to me the real reason the O's keep playing Davis, and... it's brilliant.  Chris Davis is a draw because... people come just to boo him.  The O's know they're not going to draw fans by playing well this season, so Davis is the perfect antidope.  

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Meanwhile, an economic adviser wrote an op-ed piece in the Sun, declaring that Duquette didn't want to sign Davis:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-0410-chris-davis-20190409-story.html

I remember reading someplace that Trumbo was initially traded for as a fallback if Davis became either too expensive or simply chose to sign with another club.   The feeling at the time when Trumbo was signed was that Davis was all but gone.  Part of that story - - - and I wish I could remember where I read it, but it must have been the Fishwrap or MASN, was that DD was not inclined to over-spend to sign Davis.  So in comes Trumbo in Dec 2015 for the 2016 season and Davis is resigned in Jan. 2016.  It all seemed fishy at the time after reading the article I read... and then, of course all of the innuendo about power plays in the warehouse...

The article is excellent.  He has to go.  Merciful choice.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

A friend of mine just revealed to me the real reason the O's keep playing Davis, and... it's brilliant.  Chris Davis is a draw because... people come just to boo him.  The O's know they're not going to draw fans by playing well this season, so Davis is the perfect antidope.  

I know this is tongue and cheek, but I know I eagerly await each of Davis' at bats because I don't want to miss the hit that breaks the streak.  He really is becoming must see at bats.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I remember reading someplace that Trumbo was initially traded for as a fallback if Davis became either too expensive or simply chose to sign with another club.   The feeling at the time when Trumbo was signed was that Davis was all but gone.  Part of that story - - - and I wish I could remember where I read it, but it must have been the Fishwrap or MASN, was that DD was not inclined to over-spend to sign Davis.  So in comes Trumbo in Dec 2015 for the 2016 season and Davis is resigned in Jan. 2016.  It all seemed fishy at the time after reading the article I read... and then, of course all of the innuendo about power plays in the warehouse...

The article is excellent.  He has to go.  Merciful choice.

I would assume by the article that Trumbo 3 year deal was an Angelos deal as well.  It doesn't make sense to sign him to a 3 year deal as you got Mancini coming up and Davis signed to first. I think Peter Angelos is always enthralled by big home run seasons.  Brady, Trumbo and Davis all got rewarded. 

Every day that goes by Duquette looks better and better, and the owner looks worse. Yet Duquette was trashed for 4 years straight around here while some (very very few actually) of us realized how hard (impossible?) his job was working for the tyrant that is Angelos. This is just yet another, now irrefutable example. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BMann said:

Ruiz is at first tonight, so Davis probably won't be getting that elusive first hit tonight. Or maybe he'll hit a game-winning pinch-hit home run in the ninth...!?

Or maybe a wild pitch on strike three and 3 errors.

I’d love to know which voices were advocating for Davis.   Buck?   Brady?   Both?    Someone else?

I find it interesting that Walters went public with this.   Did he do that on his own initiative?    Did Duquette ask him to do it?    I’m a little surprised he wasn’t subject to a non-disclosure agreement.    Maybe he was, but ignored it.