Who replaces Joe Angel

HowAboutThat

Kinda of late in the game to pull in anyone not already under their employ, or at least I would think.  My guess is Jim Hunter goes back to doing radio full time.  Nice guy, but he's a lot easier to take with a team that win's a lot.  Him slathering lipstick on a 100 loss team is going to be tough to stomach at times.

1 hour ago, esmd said:

Kinda of late in the game to pull in anyone not already under their employ, or at least I would think.  My guess is Jim Hunter goes back to doing radio full time.  Nice guy, but he's a lot easier to take with a team that win's a lot.  Him slathering lipstick on a 100 loss team is going to be tough to stomach at times.

Yeah, kinda sucks that Angel let them know last minute instead of telling them in October of last year.  I mean, he's been a great broadcaster, I have nothing bad to say about him except that he left the Orioles in a little bit of a bind.  Which ultimately isn't the worst thing you could do to a baseball team.  I mean, you could be signed off the scrap heap and given a few million to play baseball and then abruptly quit on your team in the middle of the season.

I think you are correct about Hunter taking over radio full time,  But Thorne, I don't think, can do all the tv broadcasts.  I'm not sure what he's contractually obligated to.

Maybe they call Manfra out of retirement for a few months until they find a full time guy?  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, kinda sucks that Angel let them know last minute instead of telling them in October of last year.  I mean, he's been a great broadcaster, I have nothing bad to say about him except that he left the Orioles in a little bit of a bind. 

As I said in the other thread, it looks to me like the O’s have known for a while that Angel wanted to either retire or cut back substantially on his schedule.    I don’t think this is a case where Angel just dropped this on the team at the last minute.   

1 hour ago, esmd said:

They have to hire someone.   No one does more than 130 games or so.   When Thorne didn't do TV, Hunter filled in.   Hunter and Angel covered radio play by play.

2 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Open tryouts - if anyone can make the upcoming month sound interesting they earn the job

(why not follow the team and bring in somebody younger -- just sayin)

Angel was in his 70s.   Thorne is 70.  Hunter is 61.

I'm pretty sure our booth will get younger almost no matter what we do.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I would love to hear Terry Ford call an actual game while intoxicated

Ditto. And maybe have some color commentary from Bob From Parkville and Elkton John. 

https://1057thefan.radio.com/media/audio-channel/ken-weinman-and-bob-parkville-go-it-air

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154460176851511&id=60216601510&_rdr

29 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Dave from Salisbury for post game coverage.  

Archived