Orioles Sign Alicides Escobar to MiL Deal

Rene88

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m actually just going by what everybody else has said, I’ve actually never seen him in the field, but I’ve never heard anybody say he is “good” anywhere.

Please don’t misunderstand, I would be very happy to be wrong. I hope he is better than expected, “fixes what ails ‘im” and all that. It would be great if he turned into a competent defender, but defense is important, and we will never forget Trumbo’s season of 47 homers that was almost completely canceled out by his “defense.”

You can be subpar defensively at a given position if you have the bat to make up for it. Dan Uggla, for example, couldn’t be mistaken for a good 2b, but his stick made him a positive contributor for many years. 

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who also isn't a dh.

I didn’t mean to say he’s “only” a DH, but at the moment there are three guys ahead of him at 1B so on this team, he’s stuck at DH unless we’re happy with sub par defense somewhere, and didn’t we get enough of that last couple years?

and every report I’ve read complains about his D and mentions LF and 1B after expressing hope he might stick at 3B.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who also isn't a dh.

Stewart projected out of the draft as limited to left field and compared well to Kyle Schwarber who at the time was running out of places to play in Chicago.

I dunno if Stewart has made any adjustments (ie his weird batting stance, his fielding), but I do know he was stealing more bases than i suspected a person shaped like a bowling ball should have.

12 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Stewart projected out of the draft as limited to left field and compared well to Kyle Schwarber who at the time was running out of places to play in Chicago.

I dunno if Stewart has made any adjustments (ie his weird batting stance, his fielding), but I do know he was stealing more bases than i suspected a person shaped like a bowling ball should have.

He is more upright in his stance.

8 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

He was quite literally a SS when they drafted him, but the thought was that he would likely move to 3B or OF. 

https://www.camdenchat.com/2015/6/8/8749731/mlb-draft-results-2015-orioles-pick-ryan-mountcastle

Yes of course I know that. My point was that they drafted poorly by focusing only on offense, and Mountcastle has been unsuccessful wherever they have tried him. What’s done is done, but I hope the new guys focus on all-round performance.

8 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

His sprint speed is in the 63rd percentile in MLB.   He was 9th on the team last year between Nunez and Villar. His speed is above average.

I might be alone here, but I feel like this signing is almost entirely just to have some kind of veteran shortstop voice in the middle-infield crop of players (other than Villar) in Spring Training. He's apparently a very good clubhouse guy and maybe that's just what this is. Get a guy in camp who's been in the game a million years and sort of get the young guys to take note and up their game for the competition in camp.

Just my opinion.

I don't think Escobar is going to crack the team and if he does, it will be as a bench/clubhouse guy. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I might be alone here, but I feel like this signing is almost entirely just to have some kind of veteran shortstop voice in the middle-infield crop of players (other than Villar) in Spring Training. He's apparently a very good clubhouse guy and maybe that's just what this is. Get a guy in camp who's been in the game a million years and sort of get the young guys to take note and up their game for the competition in camp.

Just my opinion.

I don't think Escobar is going to crack the team and if he does, it will be as a bench/clubhouse guy. 

I agree, I think will all the prospects who will be in Norfolk over the course of 2019, they want high character dudes in that clubhouse. Escobar and Eric Young Jr both fit that bill.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree, I think will all the prospects who will be in Norfolk over the course of 2019, they want high character dudes in that clubhouse. Escobar and Eric Young Jr both fit that bill.

Escobar has made 25m in the majors.  I doubt he goes to the minors of any length of time.  He probably doesn't want to ride buses for the next year.   He probably has an out if he in not put on the O's 25 man roster.

Young has been up and down between the majors and AAA for a while.  He will probably be the Tides CFer to begin the season.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Escobar has made 25m in the majors.  I doubt he goes to the minors of any length of time.  He probably doesn't want to ride buses for the next year.   He probably has an out if he in not put on the O's 25 man roster.

Young has been up and down between the majors and AAA for a while.  He will probably be the Tides CFer to begin the season.

I'm sure the Orioles would release him if a MLB deal was on the table elsewhere, but does he really have any demand?

Archived