Orioles Sign Alicides Escobar to MiL Deal

Rene88

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Esky as they refer to him in KC is someone that shows up everyday to play whether he is hitting well or not. He had a 431 consecutive game streak come to an end last summer when Yost sat him one game. He averaged 155 games played the last eight seasons. If my memory is correct he had 13 errors  last season.  Guess who else had 13 errors last sseason at SS?  You are correct.  Manny Machado the 200-300 million dollar man.  I see where a sporting news writer said tonight the Orioles signing of former All-Star Escobar dollar for dollar may be the best off season signing so far. Only $700,000.

Just now, section18 said:

Esky as they refer to him in KC is someone that shows up everyday to play whether he is hitting well or not. He had a 431 consecutive game streak come to an end last summer when Yost sat him one game. He averaged 155 games played the last eight seasons. If my memory is correct he had 13 errors  last season.  Guess who else had 13 errors last sseason at SS?  You are correct.  Manny Machado the 200-300 million dollar man.  I see where a sporting news writer said tonight the Orioles signing of former All-Star Escobar dollar for dollar may be the best off season signing so far. Only $700,000.

So one guy likes the signing, one thinks Mountcastle would be a better choice and a third prefers a corpse.

If a guy isn't good him being in the lineup everyday isn't a positive.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So one guy likes the signing, one thinks Mountcastle would be a better choice and a third prefers a corpse.

If a guy isn't good him being in the lineup everyday isn't a positive.

I think Elias likes it, so there’s that...

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias might like it for Norfolk.

I think he is adding to the collective talent in the organization without breaking the bank or making any crazy commitment.

The combination of veteran presence, additional competition, and his ability to play every day and multiple positions makes this a no brainer right now for this organization.

I'm not sure what happened to the post about the Orioles adding more speed. Escobar stole 8 out of 10 bases last year. As recently as 2012 and 2014 he stole over 30 bases.  He is a very good base stealer when he runs. He has one of the highest success ratings in baseball history stealing bases. He is 174 for 218 or 80%.

Having Young, Jr 80%, Villar 78%, Mullins 79% and Escobar 80% so far will help us on the bases and hopefully we will stop being a station to station team. Amazing Elias has added two more stolen base guys with 80% success rates to go with our 78 % and 79% rates.

46 minutes ago, section18 said:

I'm not sure what happened to the post about the Orioles adding more speed. Escobar stole 8 out of 10 bases last year. As recently as 2012 and 2014 he stole over 30 bases.  He is a very good base stealer when he runs. He has one of the highest success ratings in baseball history stealing bases. He is 174 for 218 or 80%.

Having Young, Jr 80%, Villar 78%, Mullins 79% and Escobar 80% so far will help us on the bases and hopefully we will stop being a station to station team. Amazing Elias has added two more stolen base guys with 80% success rates to go with our 78 % and 79% rates.

2 of the 4 you mentioned aren't garunteed to even be with the Orioles after Spring Training ends. 

2 hours ago, section18 said:

Mannys bat is also worlds better... not sure why this even needs to be said...

3 hours ago, section18 said:

Esky as you call him is 3 years removed from having any positive value.

To put it another way, Chris Tillman has more recently been a useful player.

14 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m unclear about the value of this signing. When I started reading, it was,”ok they got a good defender who can’t hit. That’s fine.”
But then it was,”wait a second...he’s been terrible on defense for three years? And he’s older and slowing down? Then what purpose does he serve?

It’s a minor-league signing, so there’s no harm done, but nothing should be done without a clear purpose, and I fail to see any purpose in this signing.

The purpose is to ensure the Orioles get another #1 pick

Archived