Orioles Sign Alicides Escobar to MiL Deal

Rene88

This is a disappointing move to hear about. I know it’s new management but I’m  afraid of having to watch Escobar suck every day for the sake of having someone out there whose done it before. I’d rather see Martin hit .200 than Escobar by a long shot. I can celebrate the small victories with young guys. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, oriole said:

This is a disappointing move to hear about. I know it’s new management but I’m  afraid of having to watch Escobar suck every day for the sake of having someone out there whose done it before. I’d rather see Martin hit .200 than Escobar by a long shot. I can celebrate the small victories with young guys. 

He hasn't made the team yet.

49 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, to be honest, not even Manny Machado is Andrelton Simmons, who might be the best shortstop to ever play the game(sorry Ozzie)

But it was my understanding that Martin’s Glove was elite, and Jackson’s was at least plus. Is that incorrect?

Yeah, I understand that Martin's glove is supposed to be top notch.

46 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, to be honest, not even Manny Machado is Andrelton Simmons, who might be the best shortstop to ever play the game(sorry Ozzie)

But it was my understanding that Martin’s Glove was elite, and Jackson’s was at least plus. Is that incorrect?

Jackson's arm and speed is plus.  His fielding is above average.  His bat is below average.

Martin's arm and fielding are plus.  Speed is above average.  Hitting is below average.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

This isn’t about WAR. This is about having a competent fielding MLB SS. He also started 30 games at 3B last year. 

Every move made in relation to what we already have is to improve  the defensive stability of the team. 

Yep. Some folks I’ve seen have gotten the “why” on that wrong IMO, though. It’s not about good stats for your pitchers to trade them. You want your young pitchers to feel comfortable with what’s behind them so they can just focus on pitching, and not try to do too much. 

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yep. Some folks I’ve seen have gotten the “why” on that wrong IMO, though. It’s not about good stats for your pitchers to trade them. You want your young pitchers to feel comfortable with what’s behind them so they can just focus on pitching, and not try to do too much. 

That isn’t Escobar anymore. They already have several guys who are plus gloves and might not hit. Escobar isn’t a plus glove and definitely can’t hit.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

How is the 2018 version of Escobar supposed to improve the defense of the team?

I'm fine with a no hit good field SS ( I don't even need great field), but that isn't what he was last year.

We have no SS in the system who has been a major league SS before. If Martin doesn’t pan out or gets hurt then who plays?

Considering what we had at SS last year he is certainly an improvement. Elias doesn’t seem willing to spend to make more significant improvements. 

3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

That isn’t Escobar anymore. They already have several guys who are plus gloves and might not hit. Escobar isn’t a plus glove and definitely can’t hit.

I was talking about the concept more broadly. I honestly would have to dig into Escobar a bit more to comment on his skills specifically. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

We have no SS in the system who has been a major league SS before. If Martin doesn’t pan out or gets hurt then who plays?

Considering what we had at SS last year he is certainly an improvement. Elias doesn’t seem willing to spend to make more significant improvements. 

He's an improvement over Machado?

He was a bad player last year.  No reason to expect him to be better this year.

Archived