Orioles Sign Alicides Escobar to MiL Deal

Rene88

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And no one says Mountcastle is a DH, except you apparently.

Well, lessee...we haven’t found a position he can play with any kind of ability. Maybe I’m just assuming he will find one, but things don’t look too hopeful at the moment. He gets knocks on even his ability to make routine plays, and on his arm, which would make LF less of a possibility. I’m not trying to be the Prophet of Doom, but at the moment, he looks best suited for 1B/DH.

Just now, Philip said:

Well, lessee...we haven’t found a position he can play with any kind of ability. Maybe I’m just assuming he will find one, but things don’t look too hopeful at the moment. He gets knocks on even his ability to make routine plays, and on his arm, which would make LF less of a possibility. I’m not trying to be the Prophet of Doom, but at the moment, he looks best suited for 1B/DH.

Well, lessee

2080 seems to think he might be able to stick at 3rd.

Luke would like to see if his bat can carry his glove at 2nd.

Pretty much everyone else seems to think he'll be fine in left or at first base.

That doesn't sound like a DH to me.

I think you might be overemphasizing how important a strong throwing arm is in left.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, wildcard said:

Escobar has lost a lot of range over the years.  He is 32.   Nice to have in camp but I think its hard for him to make the team as a starter.  I will be interested to see if he has an out if he is sent to AAA.

He looks like the 2019 version of 2009 Cesar Izturis.  Just without the glove.  He's the 3rd-string fallback plan if all the Rule 5ers tank.

19 hours ago, thezeroes said:

Alicides Escobar in August/September 2018.

.326.367.442.809, 37 Games and 142 Plate Appearances.  22 Games at Third Base, 13 at Short stop, 2 at second base.  SSS but not horrible.

I'm sure his agent was trying to convince everyone that 142 PAs against September callups is way more important than the .621 OPS he's put up the last four years and 2500 PAs.

With the signing for Escobar and Young,  Hyde is talking about aggressive base running in camp today. 

What comes to mind for me is "You can't steal first base".

The bottom of the lineup looks right now like a black hole to me.  Very little offense from catching, SS and RF.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

With the signing for Escobar and Young,  Hyde is talking about aggressive base running in camp today. 

What comes to mind for me is "You can't steal first base".

The bottom of the lineup looks right now like a black hole to me.  Very little offense from catching, SS and RF.

IIRC the math on attempting to steal actually gets MORE favorable in such a scenario because there's less of a trade-off in expected runs for taking the bat out of the proverbial next guy's hands.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well, lessee

2080 seems to think he might be able to stick at 3rd.

Luke would like to see if his bat can carry his glove at 2nd.

Pretty much everyone else seems to think he'll be fine in left or at first base.

That doesn't sound like a DH to me.

I think you might be overemphasizing how important a strong throwing arm is in left.

I’m actually just going by what everybody else has said, I’ve actually never seen him in the field, but I’ve never heard anybody say he is “good” anywhere.

Please don’t misunderstand, I would be very happy to be wrong. I hope he is better than expected, “fixes what ails ‘im” and all that. It would be great if he turned into a competent defender, but defense is important, and we will never forget Trumbo’s season of 47 homers that was almost completely canceled out by his “defense.”

Archived