What can bring the fans back?

AceKing

This is a difficult question, obviously, and is likely a combination of many things, but a very important question.

I get a 13 gamer every year, and some days are better than others, but there has been a lack of energy at the stadium for the past 2 years it seems.  Maybe winning does cure all, but that is unlikely for a while.  New guys have to build new fans, and that will take time and hustle.

I am hoping they eventually take a page from the Ravens and lower concessions for everyone.

They need to improve the sound system and make the music and chants more fun and engaging...

Winning will obviously help...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lower concessions would be nice, but I'm not about to schlep up to Baltimore because a hot dog is 2 bucks or whatever.  Yeah, I'll buy more when I'm there, but it's getting there that's the hassle.  

I'll go more when they win and have better players.  I will be able to tell my kids someday, "yeah, I saw Manny Machado play".  I'm not going to tell them about the time I battled Beltway and I-95 traffic to see Renato Nunez.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I kind of don't care, honestly, who goes to the baseball games, or if the attendance is down or up.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's kinda sad, you should care.  Attendance up = more revenue.  More revenue = more resources, better payroll, etc.  

There is NOTHING LIKE a rocking Camden Yards.  I miss it so much.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's kinda sad, you should care.  Attendance up = more revenue.  More revenue = more resources, better payroll, etc.  

I just mean, I'm going to enjoy myself this year regardless. If they win and the fans like what's going on, they'll be back, like you said. That's it. There's nothing else to really talk about here. 

Selling tickets has very little effect on revenue, so I dunno about your  second point. It's nice to pack the stadium. It'll be packed again at some point when the team is good. That's it! 

1 minute ago, AceKing said:

So if we get another 1:1 after this season, we will lose another 20% of fans again this year?  Because we will not be winning at that point.

I think the whole plan is a terrible one, myself.   What happens after 3 years of being the laughing stock of baseball just leads to having a bad team?  Just in time for the lease on Camden Yards to expire. 

2 minutes ago, AceKing said:

So if we get another 1:1 after this season, we will lose another 20% of fans again this year?  Because we will not be winning at that point.

Who knows.

I mean, I'd be curious to see how many fans could name the 1:1 guy we pick this year.  We need to remember that we (Orioles Hangout) represent a small, small portion of the Orioles fanbase.  We are the diehards.  We're the ones who know if Martin Cervenka has a case of the trots cause he had some bad oysters on Friday night.  

Not everyone at OPACY is like that.  There are the corporate schmucks who are there to entertain clients and aren't paying attention to the game.  There are the families that are looking for something to do and have a casual interest in baseball.  There are people who are slowly getting into the game and learning.  Hell, I'm a diehard and I'll be lucky to go to one game this year.  

Winning cures everything, there's no way around it.  You get the attention of the causal fans, you get the attention of the dolts who think catching a game at OPACY is the cool thing to do and they don't know why.  I worked with a guy like that, he was insufferable.  Didn't care about sports but if the Nats were winning or if the Caps were in the playoffs all of a sudden he'd want to go to a game to say he went.  Didn't know what he was looking at.  But I digress.

I think if you do things like lower concessions you get some people who were on the fence about going, but I don't think it'll swing a lot of fans into coming.  Winning cures everything, no other way around it.

11 minutes ago, AceKing said:

This is a difficult question, obviously, and is likely a combination of many things, but a very important question.

I get a 13 gamer every year, and some days are better than others, but there has been a lack of energy at the stadium for the past 2 years it seems.  Maybe winning does cure all, but that is unlikely for a while.  New guys have to build new fans, and that will take time and hustle.

I am hoping they eventually take a page from the Ravens and lower concessions for everyone.

They need to improve the sound system and make the music and chants more fun and engaging...

Winning will obviously help...

I'd be excited to go. With a new and better GM. A new Manager and with some younger players coming up. That to me would be a reason to go. If it depends on wins for some fans to go then to me that's not being a true fan. I'm an O's fan win or lose. 

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Why stop there?  Why not 10 cent beers?

beer-e1437801727204.jpg?resize=860,280&s

Inflation.  When was that back in the 70's? You can't get a beer for 10 cents anymore.  I remember going to more than a few quarter draft nights when I was in college.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Who knows.

I mean, I'd be curious to see how many fans could name the 1:1 guy we pick this year.  We need to remember that we (Orioles Hangout) represent a small, small portion of the Orioles fanbase.  We are the diehards.  We're the ones who know if Martin Cervenka has a case of the trots cause he had some bad oysters on Friday night.  

Not everyone at OPACY is like that.  There are the corporate schmucks who are there to entertain clients and aren't paying attention to the game.  There are the families that are looking for something to do and have a casual interest in baseball.  There are people who are slowly getting into the game and learning.  Hell, I'm a diehard and I'll be lucky to go to one game this year.  

Winning cures everything, there's no way around it.  You get the attention of the causal fans, you get the attention of the dolts who think catching a game at OPACY is the cool thing to do and they don't know why.  I worked with a guy like that, he was insufferable.  Didn't care about sports but if the Nats were winning or if the Caps were in the playoffs all of a sudden he'd want to go to a game to say he went.  Didn't know what he was looking at.  But I digress.

I think if you do things like lower concessions you get some people who were on the fence about going, but I don't think it'll swing a lot of fans into coming.  Winning cures everything, no other way around it.

Yes it needs to be more of an experience/event.

There are still lots of BASEBALL fans from other teams there many games just to see Camden, even if their team is not playing.   But not too many diehards that go to many games.

Archived