Eastern League Going to Split Season!

Rene88

I would actually. I am not uber conservative like most of this board. I like changes and I like this one in particular. If your team sucks, at least it will motivate people for the second half of the year. Would significantly help with attendance imo. 

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why is that exciting?    Would you like to see that in the majors?

1892.  Went over so well that they didn't do it again until the strike forced their hand in '81.

I think split seasons are pretty common in the minors.  Way to drum up a little interest when nobody cares about minor league pennant races.  It's also a kind of solution to how to have a postseason championship with one league.  You finish first, you win the league, right?  Well... how about we split the season and have the champs of the two halves play and we can charge more admission?

Of course today they put a lot of teams in the playoffs and we don't care as much about having a champion who didn't win the league.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

1892.  Went over so well that they didn't do it again until the strike forced their hand in '81.

I think split seasons are pretty common in the minors.  Way to drum up a little interest when nobody cares about minor league pennant races.  It's also a kind of solution to how to have a postseason championship with one league.  You finish first, you win the league, right?  Well... how about we split the season and have the champs of the two halves play and we can charge more admission?

Of course today they put a lot of teams in the playoffs and we don't care as much about having a champion who didn't win the league.

What if the same team wins both halves?

25 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I would actually. I am not uber conservative like most of this board. I like changes and I like this one in particular. If your team sucks, at least it will motivate people for the second half of the year. Would significantly help with attendance imo. 

It certainly would change strategy regarding trades.

I haven’t thought it through yet, but my gut instinct is against it.    They did it in the 1981 strike season since the strike basically split the season into two distinct parts, and I didn’t like it.    Of course, part of the problem was that when they were playing the first part of that season, nobody knew they were vying for a 50-60 game division title.    

It may vary by league.  This is what is done in the NWL.  Eugene won the NWL championship this past year despite the worst overall record in the league.  Here is how it happened. 

The NWL is split into two 4 team divisions (North and South). Eugene is in the South. 
The season is split into first and second halves. 
The winners of each half square off in the semi-finals. 
However, if the same team wins both halves, the team with the second best record during the second half of the season advances to the playoffs. 

Hillsboro won both halves in the South. 
Eugene finished last in the first half.  Their 2nd half record was an underwhelming 17-21 but that was better than the records of Salem-Keizer (16-22) and Boise (14-24). 

They won both playoff rounds and are now the NWL champions. 

http://www.milb.com/standings/index.jsp?lid=126&period=h0&sid=l126

http://www.milb.com/milb/events/playoffs/y2018/league.jsp?id=126&sid=l126

The article I linked to contains this:

In order to accommodate more teams, league directors decided to expand the standard 140-game season to 154 games, and they also established a split-season format. Hoping that a different team would win each season, the directors tentatively planned a postseason “world championship series.”

Sounds sketchy that they were just hoping two different teams would win.

6 minutes ago, Dale said:

It may vary by league.  This is what is done in the NWL.  Eugene won the NWL championship this past year despite the worst overall record in the league.  Here is how it happened. 

The NWL is split into two 4 team divisions (North and South). Eugene is in the South. 
The season is split into first and second halves. 
The winners of each half square off in the semi-finals. 
However, if the same team wins both halves, the team with the second best record during the second half of the season advances to the playoffs. 

Hillsboro won both halves in the South. 
Eugene finished last in the first half.  Their 2nd half record was an underwhelming 17-21 but that was better than the records of Salem-Keizer (16-22) and Boise (14-24). 

They won both playoff rounds and are now the NWL champions. 

http://www.milb.com/standings/index.jsp?lid=126&period=h0&sid=l126

http://www.milb.com/milb/events/playoffs/y2018/league.jsp?id=126&sid=l126

Wow, that's lame.

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

The 1981 Reds had the best record in the Major Leagues ........ and did not make the postseason.

Image result for 1981 Reds best record in the Majors

o

o

On a somewhat similar note ........ in the strike-shortened 1972 season, the Tigers won the division that year by only 1/2 of a game.

I remember being puzzled when I read the newspaper the afternoon after the final game of the season, wondering how a team could win a division by less than a full game (I was in 2nd grade.) One of my older brothers later told me that that was allowed to happen because of the early-season strike, which cancelled a different number of games for different teams.

http://www.shrpsports.com/mlb/stand/1972finaldiv.htm

Quirk in Schedule Helped Tigers to the A.L. East Division Title in '72

(By Dan Holmes)

https://www.detroitathletic.com/blog/2013/07/12/quirk-in-schedule-gave-72-tigers-the-al-east-division-title/

o

Archived