Any Word on Why Pop's Velo Was Down?

mdbdotcom

Here's the section on Pop in Roch's blog this morning:

“I felt good,” Pop said. “There’s always some things you want to work on. Being the first time you kind of take it easy. Felt really good with the two-seam low and away and started throwing some changeups, something that I wanted to work on this offseason, so that was pretty cool to do and get some swings on the changeup. That was really good for me.”

In typical spring fashion, Pop didn’t attack hitters as he normally would in the regular season.

“For me right now it’s staying healthy, not trying to do too much and just really work on some stuff that I wouldn’t get the opportunity to during the season,” Pop said.

A few fans noted on Twitter that Pop’s velocity was down considerably, as if he should be rearing back and hitting the high 90s.

“I wasn’t really trying to get after it at all,” he said. “Nothing to an extreme. I was obviously out there competing and trying to do everything I can to get three outs, but I wasn’t trying to go out there and blow off any doors, being the first game. There was really no point in trying to do that when it’s such a long season and it’s the first game.”

28 minutes ago, LTO's said:

“I felt good,” Pop said. “There’s always some things you want to work on. Being the first time you kind of take it easy. Felt really good with the two-seam low and away and started throwing some changeups, something that I wanted to work on this offseason, so that was pretty cool to do and get some swings on the changeup. That was really good for me.”

In typical spring fashion, Pop didn’t attack hitters as he normally would in the regular season.

“For me right now it’s staying healthy, not trying to do too much and just really work on some stuff that I wouldn’t get the opportunity to during the season,” Pop said.

A few fans noted on Twitter that Pop’s velocity was down considerably, as if he should be rearing back and hitting the high 90s.

“I wasn’t really trying to get after it at all,” he said. “Nothing to an extreme. I was obviously out there competing and trying to do everything I can to get three outs, but I wasn’t trying to go out there and blow off any doors, being the first game. There was really no point in trying to do that when it’s such a long season and it’s the first game.”

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I came to post this when I read it. Luke-OH will feel better. He sounded pretty bummed about Pop in the game thread.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Pop is throwing 95 with motion and can control his pitches,  it would probably take two injuries in the pen to have him make the OD roster.

I think Pop could be a very fast mover who is in our pen by midseason.   But I don’t think he has much chance to start there.   He’s not on the 40-man roster and has only a couple months at AA.   The O’s will save their bullets, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Pop could be a very fast mover who is in our pen by midseason.   But I don’t think he has much chance to start there.   He’s not on the 40-man roster and has only a couple months at AA.   The O’s will save their bullets, IMO.

Yes I agree..But if Givens and Castro went down with injuries and Pop is throwing 95 effectively  stranger things have happened.

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yes I agree..But if Givens and Castro went down with injuries and Pop is throwing 95 effectively  stranger things have happened.

Or hopefully Givens and someone like Bleier are traded at the deadline.

2 hours ago, LTO's said:

That’s me he is referring to, I pointed it out on Twitter. Thanks for the condescending tone Roch.

I’m glad he was throwing changeups (a new pitch for him) so it was 88-89 for the FB, not 85-89. 

It’s generally a bad sign when someone shows a significant decrease in velocity in spring training. There is data backing that up, so I think it’s appropriate to be concerned. I’m as high on Pop as anyone and hope he’s ok, but I think it’s silly of Roch to act like what happened wasn’t a big deal, I’m sure the coaching staff is plenty concerned as well, not just “fans on twitter”.

Archived