Gio Gonzalez

RVAOsFan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Gio signed a minor league deal with the Yankees.  I know that the Orioles will not be a contender this year but would it have killed them to sign someone like Gio to a minimal contract? Eat some innings, be a potential trade candidate, KNOCK MIKE WRIGHT OUT OF THE DISCUSSION FOR A ROTATION SPOT.

That was exactly my thought. He has a much better past than Wright, And would probably perform better. Oh well, Mike had a reason for his lack of interest, and we trust his judgment.

However, if all you’re wanting is to get somebody better than Mike Wright, that should be really easy to do.

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I really don't see why it wouldn't have made some sense for the Orioles to guarantee him 3M to in a worst case scenario eat innings. 

I see your point, but I honestly think Gio has the potential to be as bad as Cashner. He hasn't been a good pitcher in quite awhile. Also, is it really the team's intention to win games this season? It sure doesn't feel that way to me. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe he really didn't want to play here?

Maybe the O's have better ways to spend 3M? 

I think the atmosphere in Baltimore is improving a lot. The perception is that it’s going in the right direction and going in the right direction rather quickly. I think it’ll be a more desirable landing spot as time goes on, but in this case, I don’t think it’s a matter of him not wanting to be here. With us he would’ve been almost guaranteed A spot in the Rotation, and in New York that’s much less likely. I think Occam’s Razor says that he’s not here because Mike didn’t want to pursue him.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe he really didn't want to play here?

Maybe the O's have better ways to spend 3M? 

Yeah, possibly. It's hard to know about the 3M without knowing the budget constraints that Elias is working within.

I do think teams in general get a little too cutesy with risk avoidance. 

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I really don't see why it wouldn't have made some sense for the Orioles to guarantee him 3M to in a worst case scenario eat innings. 

I've been beating this drum all off season and people have laughed at me.  There comes a point where the value becomes so laughable that every team should be looking at it.

You think if you offered Kuechel $5M right now he would turn it down?

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I've been beating this drum all off season and people have laughed at me.  There comes a point where the value becomes so laughable that every team should be looking at it.

You think if you offered Kuechel $5M right now he would turn it down?

Actually,  i’ve been wondering why the Orioles haven’t approached Keuchel. Regardless of the size of the contract, we sign him, play him until July and trade him, The new team takes over the contract, we get some kind of return, he gets to go to a better team, and everybody’s happy.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I see your point, but I honestly think Gio has the potential to be as bad as Cashner. He hasn't been a good pitcher in quite awhile. Also, is it really the team's intention to win games this season? It sure doesn't feel that way to me. 

Oh, I agree, but my thought is that the reward outweighs the risk on a one year deal for a team that already is spending 50+M less than last year on the MLB product. 

I agree that the idea of signing guys with the intention of trading them at the deadline is often a sketchy proposal, but if you can grab a 3 dudes (especially pitchers) at say 3M guarantees, all you need is one FV 45 prospect back to break even. 

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think the atmosphere in Baltimore is improving a lot. The perception is that it’s going in the right direction and going in the right direction rather quickly. I think it’ll be a more desirable landing spot as time goes on, but in this case, I don’t think it’s a matter of him not wanting to be here. With us he would’ve been almost guaranteed A spot in the Rotation, and in New York that’s much less likely. I think Occam’s Razor says that he’s not here because Mike didn’t want to pursue him.

It may be but do you think that has permeated around baseball yet?  You have a team coming off a 115 loss season that is looking to lose just as much this year and plays in the same division as the Yanks, Red Sox and Rays.  And oh yea, the ballpark is offensive friendly.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It may be but do you think that has permeated around baseball yet?  You have a team coming off a 115 loss season that is looking to lose just as much this year and plays in the same division as the Yanks, Red Sox and Rays.  And oh yea, the ballpark is offensive friendly.

I’m not sure the general fan is aware, or cares, but I guarantee you the agents are aware. And the agents want to get their guys into a situation where they can get regular playing time, showcase their ability, and improve their situation. Baltimore is a place to do that. Consider the other hapless teams, Miami, Maybe Detroit and Cincinnati, if I were an agent I would prefer my guy to go to Baltimore, all things being equal.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

Actually,  i’ve been wondering why the Orioles haven’t approached Keuchel. Regardless of the size of the contract, we sign him, play him until July and trade him, The new team takes over the contract, we get some kind of return, he gets to go to a better team, and everybody’s happy.

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

So you think the odds are good that we'll be able to flip/trade a player who no one seems interested in signing right now? 

Archived