Donnie Hart DFA!

Legend_Of_Joey

Just now, Rene88 said:

Very little LOL, listen on radio. What’s your take?

I have read reports that the O's coaches like his range.  However he has not been able to turn several double plays.  Its way too early to say how good he is IMO.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Philip said:

I like what I’ve seen from all the infielders so far. No one is perfect but each has virtues. But I don’t see why Alberto is so desirable. At this moment, a mediocre defender with a good bat would be an outlier, but everyone we have is a competent defender who can’t hit. Flip a coin four times and that could be your infield.

Alberto was a gold glove SS in the minors.  He has had shoulder surgery since that.   He was AAA Round Rock Express MVP last year with a 322 avg and a 366 OBP.     He has played in 247 games at AAA.   Martin and Jackson have not played above AA.  

However Elias DFA'd him which is not high praise.

53 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

What the heck is going on with this guy?    We DFA’d him a week ago and kept Hart.    Now we DFA Hart and claim him back.

Feb. 19 - we claim Osich from Giants

Feb. 22 - Giants claim Alberto from us

March 1 - We claim Alberto from Giants.      Hart DFA.

Weird.  By the way, Hart made one appearance this spring, retiring the side in order and striking out two.   That convinced the O’s to change their mind about whether it was better to keep Alberto than Hart?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What the heck is going on with this guy?    We DFA’d him a week ago and kept Hart.    Now we DFA Hart and claim him back.

Feb. 19 - we claim Osich from Giants

Feb. 22 - Giants claim Alberto from us

March 1 - We claim Alberto from Giants.      Hart DFA.

Weird.  By the way, Hart made one appearance this spring, retiring the side in order and striking out two.   That convinced the O’s to change their mind about whether it was better to keep Alberto than Hart?

Maybe they are hoping Hart slides through waivers. He doesn't have any options left and a lefty relief pitcher isn't that thin of a spot.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have read reports that the O's coaches like his range.  However he has not been able to turn several double plays.  Its way too early to say how good he is IMO.

Melewski (Go Towson) just said verbatim " I can't believe the A's let this guy expose in the Rule 5 draft". 

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Melewski (Go Towson) just said verbatim " I can't believe the A's let this guy expose in the Rule 5 draft". 

Luke told us why that happened.  He is an extreme ground ball hitter which usually doesn't do well in the majors.    Also the A's have minor league SSs Jorge Mateo, Jeremy Eierman,  Nick Allen, Kevin Merrell, Alexander Campo,  and Verdel  Vargas all on their top 30 prospects.  They must have like them better.

40 minutes ago, Philip said:

I like what I’ve seen from all the infielders so far. No one is perfect but each has virtues. But I don’t see why Alberto is so desirable. At this moment, a mediocre defender with a good bat would be an outlier, but everyone we have is a competent defender who can’t hit. Flip a coin four times and that could be your infield.

He is more desirable than Donnie Hart. That is all. I read nothing into this.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

He is more desirable than Donnie Hart. That is all. I read nothing into this.

That was my thought. He will probably be waived again shortly before final rosters finalized, watch. I think they just decided Hart was not in their plans.

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Alberto was a gold glove SS in the minors.  He has had shoulder surgery since that.   He was AAA Round Rock Express MVP last year with a 322 avg and a 366 OBP.     He has played in 247 games at AAA.   Martin and Jackson have not played above AA.  

However Elias DFA'd him which is not high praise.

Defense translates from the minors to the majors, so if he’s a good defender, he’s a good defender. That isn’t the issue. However, the shoulder surgery may affect it. The issue is that everybody we have in camp offers the same thing. Everybody is a good defender, which is great. Defense needs to be the highest priority. However, nobody has a great bat, so why bother bringing in, for the second time, a guy who offers nothing different from what we already have in great abundance ?

Archived