Where I think the O's roster is right now

wildcard

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

As a September call-up.  I think you're being deliberately obtuse to imply that that would representas the first "partial year" of the typical ~6+ year service clock.  I'm honestly starting to think you want Hays up to prove a point re: service time manipulation. I don't think it's crazy to suggest that a guy who OPS'd .703 at Bowie last season should start in the minors this season and come up later.  

They would have control of him at the major league level for an excess of six seasons (assuming the next CBA doesn't change things).

If they want to game his service time he would have to stay down longer than someone who hasn't already accrued ML service time.

I think it is absolutely crazy to use his performance at Bowie last season as justification to manipulate his clock.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They would have control of him at the major league level for an excess of six seasons (assuming the next CBA doesn't change things).

If they want to game his service time he would have to stay down longer than someone who hasn't already accrued ML service time.

I think it is absolutely crazy to use his performance at Bowie last season as justification to manipulate his clock.

Why?  Typically the players that one would bang the table for as absolutely needing to be at the big club would be those who were dominating at the lower levels in the year prior.  

And, with all due respect, I think that you're use of his time as a September call-up as the team already having gotten extra time out of him is a bit intellectually dishonest.

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

At that point you could promote Diaz.

I think Stewart's best shot for at bats right now is for Mullins to play like he did last year.

I could see both Trumbo and Davis gone. In that scenario. I don’t know what point would be keeping Trumbo if he is blocking someone.

Yes, Mullins plays into this.

I think Hays, Mullins and Diaz will be starters by end of year.  

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Why?  Typically the players that one would bang the table for as absolutely needing to be at the big club would be those who were dominating at the lower levels in the year prior.  

And, with all due respect, I think that you're use of his time as a September call-up as the team already having gotten extra time out of him is a bit intellectually dishonest.

Because it looks like Hays was never healthy.

I'm also not caught up in the whole "We have to manipulate these kids' service clocks to get more time out of them."  In fact I'm against manipulating their service clocks. 

The process isn't as simple as put up X/X/X line and get promoted.

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I could see both Trumbo and Davis gone. In that scenario. I don’t know what point would be keeping Trumbo if he is blocking someone.

Yes, Mullins plays into this.

I think Hays, Mullins and Diaz will be starters by end of year.  

Davis felt good hitting today.Could be in lineup as early as Tuesday.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/03/hyde-on-cobb-davis-aggression-outfield-and-more.html

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm also not caught up in the whole "We have to manipulate these kids' service clocks to get more time out of them."  In fact I'm against manipulating their service clocks. 

This is really important, if the player shows MLB quality tools and MLB quality skills, then they are ready. Hays had the tools in 2017, but the skills weren't quite ready, he got out-sequenced by MLB pitchers. 

5 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

No chance Santander beats out Stewart. He's a poor defender who was a below average hitter in AA last year. A strong couple of weeks in spring don't change that. 

Meanwhile, Stewart’s been reassigned to Norfolk and Santander’s still in major league camp.    

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hays isn’t someone to manipulate the service time for. Keeping Diaz down for a month to get the extra year is just smart baseball 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Hays isn’t someone to manipulate the service time for. Keeping Diaz down for a month to get the extra year is just smart baseball 

I think it’s anyone’s guess who will be the better player of the two over the long run.    I’m relatively high on both.    I don’t expect either to be a superstar, but either or both could be a 20+ career WAR player.  

Archived