2019 Boston Red Sox

OFFNY

On 5/30/2019 at 5:03 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Unlikely Heroes, Injuries and a World Series Hangover: What You need to Know about Red Sox-Yankees

(By Coley Harvey and Joon Lee)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26846862/need-know-red-sox-yankees

1) llllll The Red Sox rotation is waking up.

2) llllll Pinstripe production is coming from unexpected places.

3) llllll Devers and Chavis are breaking through in BostonBoston's bullpen remains a question mark.

4) llllll The Yankees keep making all the right moves.

5) llllll Boston's bullpen remains a question mark.

6) llllll The schedule has helped the battered Bombers.

7) llllll This weekend: The momentum is on New York's side ........ for now.

o

o

(6 and-a-Half Weeks Later)

Dave Dombrowski Made a Decisive Move in Acquiring Andrew Cashner

(By Peter Abraham)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2019/07/13/onball/g94d2BsRmMAlhSQXmy1adJ/story.html

o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, weams said:

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Canned less than 11 months after winning a World Series.

What have you done for me lately ???

o

The Red Sox were in the process of rebuilding ........ Dombrowski was given 7-10 weeks to do so. 44 weeks later, the Red Sox were nowhere near a playoff berth. There was no point in waiting around forever for some guy that was clearly resting on his laurels.

o

11 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

The Red Sox were in the process of rebuilding ........ Dombrowski was given 7-10 weeks to do so. 44 weeks later, the Red Sox were nowhere near a playoff berth. There was no point in waiting around forever for some guy that was clearly resting on his laurels.

Most winning WS are not in need of a total rebuild, but adding a piece or two to your roster.

32 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Canned less than 11 months after winning a World Series.

What have you done for me lately ???

21 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Most winning WS are not in need of a total rebuild, but adding a piece or two to your roster.

o

It was a joke.

o

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Dombrowski has left the Red Sox in a somewhat difficult position.    It will be interesting to see who they hire and what approach the new hire takes.   

Dombrowski emptied the farm system, which doesn't break my heart as I have no love of the Red Sox.

You are right, the new GM is inheriting a huge mess in a high profile large market town.

47 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Dombrowski emptied the farm system, which doesn't break my heart as I have no love of the Red Sox.

You are right, the new GM is inheriting a huge mess in a high profile large market town.

Well, I think “huge mess” could be an overstatement, but we’ll see.    They have tons of money tied up in pitchers who didn’t produce this year, but at least a couple of them could bounce back.    Their offense is still relatively young and productive.    It’s still an expensive team but a clever GM might find a way to bridge the gap.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I think “huge mess” could be an overstatement, but we’ll see.    They have tons of money tied up in pitchers who didn’t produce this year, but at least a couple of them could bounce back.    Their offense is still relatively young and productive.    It’s still an expensive team but a clever GM might find a way to bridge the gap.   

Their star in Betts have shown ZERO desire to talk extension, much like Manny, you have to figure out, trade him for small return, or let him walk at the end of his deal.

12 current players are ready to become free agents, and yes, some like Pearce is just a role player and not one of their core guys to bring around.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Their star in Betts have shown ZERO desire to talk extension, much like Manny, you have to figure out, trade him for small return, or let him walk at the end of his deal.

12 current players are ready to become free agents, and yes, some like Pearce is just a role player and not one of their core guys to bring around.

Here’s what I like about them:

- Devers is 22 and under control 4 more seasons

- Benintendi is 24 and under control 3 more seasons

- Eduardo Rodriguez is 26 and under control 2 more seasons 

- Xander Bogaerts is 26 and under control 6 more seasons    

That’s a nice core.   They need to supplement that, but it’s a nice group to work with.    The real issue is what they get from Sale/Price/Eovaldi.   

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here’s what I like about them:

- Devers is 22 and under control 4 more seasons

- Benintendi is 24 and under control 3 more seasons

- Eduardo Rodriguez is 26 and under control 2 more seasons 

- Xander Bogaerts is 26 and under control 6 more seasons    

That’s a nice core.   They need to supplement that, but it’s a nice group to work with.    The real issue is what they get from Sale/Price/Eovaldi.   

They dragged out Ortiz the day after the elimination/dismissal.  He did not curse.