TT: Opening Day roster starting to take shape, but questions remain

Tony-OH

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Trumbo is making his debut today against the Jays. It’s probably a 75% that both he and Davis are ready for OD, which pushes Mancini to LF. So that really takes away an OF spot. Santander and EY JR are likely on the looking in. 

Is Dwight Smith Jr even going to show up to big league camp?  He had appeared in games for the Jays. We play Toronto today, I guess he could just catch that ride. ?

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I saw Trumbo is making his debut today against the Jays. It’s probably a 75% that both he and Davis are ready for OD, which pushes Mancini to LF. So that really takes away an OF spot. Santander and EY JR are likely on the looking in. 

Is Dwight Smith Jr even going to show up to big league camp?  He had appeared in games for the Jays. We play Toronto today, I guess he could just catch that ride. ?

He played against the Yankees yesterday.

20 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He played against the Yankees yesterday.

Thanks for pointing that out. I also noticed Sucre was back. I remember him having some visa  issues. Sucre has to be on MLB roster by March 22 (next Thursday)or he can opt out. Perez has put up some good numbers so it will be interesting to see what they decide. 

The starting pitching is still a big work in progress. Karns only pitched one inning again,so he has zero chance to be a stater to begin the season. Only 13 spring  games left and not enough time to stretch him out to start. Means and Wright were not great yesterday. Means pitched two inning and Wright 2 2/3. Rogers did go 3 2/3 in his last start and is a lefty. He could get three more starts down in Florida. Ynoa went four innings in his last game but not sure how he is viewed by the Orioles .Starter or long reliever. Hess went 3 1/3 in his last start and I think will be one of the starters to begin the season. Ramirez last two outings have not been good. i guess Bundy, Cashner and Cobb are the first three,though none have looked that great and gone that long yet. I guess Wright and Hess are still the front runners for the last two spots but Ynoa and Rogers still have a decent shot. Ramirez and Means are long shots at this point. A few will end up as long men.See many changes with long men and starters as the year progresses.

Definitely not REAL NEWS!!!  ?

The Orioles announced today that Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo, two stalwart remainders from the Orioles past glory, were placed on IL today for injuries that may have occurred during last night's game.  Manager Brandon Hyde explained it like this:  "What happens with these two fine men is vitally important to the success of the Baltimore Orioles.  We are taking this step out of the utmost caution for the player and the team."  Hyde declined to address either player specifically.

An unidentified fan, we will identify here as Legend of Moey, relayed the following incident that may or may not be related:  

"My wife and I flew down to see this one game, and while we were sitting in the stands before the game, several players came by to say hello and sign autographs.  We were chatting with former legend Brady Anderson when we saw Chris Davis.  Well, Davis was walking by headed to the dugout, so we called out to him to come and sign an autograph and he was kind enough to come by.  We made small talk and wished him well on the coming season, and commented that he really did look smaller headed into this year.  While we were chatting Mark Trumbo comes up and thanks us for coming.  Davis then seemed to play a joke on Trumbo by asking him to...pull his finger.  This delighted the children nearby as well as some of the adults, but Trumbo seemed to misunderstand the joke and errantly pulled...too hard on Davis' index finger.  Davis, seemingly in pain, proceeded to dance around in a circle while repeatedly slapping his forehead and saying 'whoop whoop whoop" then proceeded to hit Trumbo on top of his head knocking his hat over his eyes.  Trumbo, in retaliation tried to poke Davis in the eye, but Davis, demonstrating his improved reaction time, got a hand up to his nose and Trumbo's attempt was intercepted, possibly hurting Trumbo's fingers.  I cannot say whether this event is meaningful or not, but while my wife and I were eating at the Mexican place across from the stadium we saw Davis and Trumbo and they both had bandages on their fingers.

No information about the length of time either player would need on the IL was provided by the Orioles.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Definitely not REAL NEWS!!!  ?

The Orioles announced today that Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo, two stalwart remainders from the Orioles past glory, were placed on IL today for injuries that may have occurred during last night's game.  Manager Brandon Hyde explained it like this:  "What happens with these two fine men is vitally important to the success of the Baltimore Orioles.  We are taking this step out of the utmost caution for the player and the team."  Hyde declined to address either player specifically.

An unidentified fan, we will identify here as Legend of Moey, relayed the following incident that may or may not be related:  

"My wife and I flew down to see this one game, and while we were sitting in the stands before the game, several players came by to say hello and sign autographs.  We were chatting with former legend Brady Anderson when we saw Chris Davis.  Well, Davis was walking by headed to the dugout, so we called out to him to come and sign an autograph and he was kind enough to come by.  We made small talk and wished him well on the coming season, and commented that he really did look smaller headed into this year.  While we were chatting Mark Trumbo comes up and thanks us for coming.  Davis then seemed to play a joke on Trumbo by asking him to...pull his finger.  This delighted the children nearby as well as some of the adults, but Trumbo seemed to misunderstand the joke and errantly pulled...too hard on Davis' index finger.  Davis, seemingly in pain, proceeded to dance around in a circle while repeatedly slapping his forehead and saying 'whoop whoop whoop" then proceeded to hit Trumbo on top of his head knocking his hat over his eyes.  Trumbo, in retaliation tried to poke Davis in the eye, but Davis, demonstrating his improved reaction time, got a hand up to his nose and Trumbo's attempt was intercepted, possibly hurting Trumbo's fingers.  I cannot say whether this event is meaningful or not, but while my wife and I were eating at the Mexican place across from the stadium we saw Davis and Trumbo and they both had bandages on their fingers.

No information about the length of time either player would need on the IL was provided by the Orioles.

"smaller headed" Absolutely Bondsian. 

22 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The starting pitching is still a big work in progress. Karns only pitched one inning again,so he has zero chance to be a stater to begin the season. Only 13 spring  games left and not enough time to stretch him out to start. Means and Wright were not great yesterday. Means pitched two inning and Wright 2 2/3. Rogers did go 3 2/3 in his last start and is a lefty. He could get three more starts down in Florida. Ynoa went four innings in his last game but not sure how he is viewed by the Orioles .Starter or long reliever. Hess went 3 1/3 in his last start and I think will be one of the starters to begin the season. Ramirez last two outings have not been good. i guess Bundy, Cashner and Cobb are the first three,though none have looked that great and gone that long yet. I guess Wright and Hess are still the front runners for the last two spots but Ynoa and Rogers still have a decent shot. Ramirez and Means are long shots at this point. A few will end up as long men.See many changes with long men and starters as the year progresses.

Karns has a high K/9 and problems with injuries. I think the thinking is to make him a reliever and have him pitch all out for an inning at a time. I think he could be a sneaky good setup guy.

The SP options are pretty awful. I guess Hess and Wright are the best bets to start. What is the options situation with the others? Wright is always just good enough that the organization doesn't want to lose him.

I don't really see anything in Ynoa's track record to suggest he is an MLB pitcher. Flip a coin between Means and Rogers?

I wonder how soon it will be before we might see one of Akin, Kremer, or Lowther.

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Its time to send Ramirez and Means to the minors.  Use those innings to give the other starters a  chance to stretch out. Things should be getting serious.    Time to thin down.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its time to send Ramirez and Means to the minors.  Use those innings to give the other starters a  chance to stretch out. Things should be getting serious.    Time to thin down.

How would you rank the 4th/5th SP candidates at this point?

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

How would you rank the 4th/5th SP candidates at this point?

Hess, Rogers, Ynoa, Wright, Yacabonis.     Ramirez and Means are out of it and should go to the minors.  Ynoa is only third because he is not on the 40 man roster.  He would be higher if he was.

Just now, wildcard said:

Hess, Rogers, Ynoa, Wright, Yacabonis.     Ramirez and Means are out of it and should go to the minors.  Ynoa is only third because he is not on the 40 man roster.  He would be higher if he was.

I think I agree. We have not really seen Yac start though. He pitches tomorrow out of the bullpen.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think I agree. We have not really seen Yac start though. He pitches tomorrow out of the bullpen.

I don't think they have started him and it seems like he is being looked at as a long reliever.  But if he out pitches  the others over the last 13 games he could end up in the rotation by default.

That said I have him 5th on the list right now.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think they have started him and it seems like he is being looked at as a long reliever.  But if he out pitches  the others over the last 13 games he could end up in the rotation by default.

That said I have him 5th on the list right now.

Yeah. End of the day it would seem Wright is making this team in some capacity once again. If only just to get some younger guys some more time in the minors. I like Means and his crazy-fast pace and feel like he could be close. Definitely has value as a shuttle guy.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Yeah. End of the day it would seem Wright is making this team in some capacity once again. If only just to get some younger guys some more time in the minors. I like Means and his crazy-fast pace and feel like he could be close. Definitely has value as a shuttle guy.

Wright maybe a reliever.   I thought Rogers was the fast pace guy.

Archived