TT: Opening Day roster starting to take shape, but questions remain

Tony-OH

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see Young making the team for opening day because he is non rostered.   The O's already have to probably add non rostered Sucre and Escobar.    Making it three may be more then they want to go.    Hays, Rickard, Santander, Mancini and Jackson all able to play the outfield probably sends Young to the minors to begin the season.

Waiting until the last day of ST and then DFAing Alberto and Smith seems possible because they probably go unclaimed.   Returning Arraujo over 17days does not seem like something a building team will want to do.

Unless he's been assessed as not a future major leaguer. Aruajo will make the team if the organization assesses he could have future value. If they don't, I could see him being returned. There is no reason keeping a guy around if you don't think he's a guy.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Unless he's been assessed as not a future major leaguer. Aruajo will make the team if the organization assesses he could have future value. If they don't, I could see him being returned. There is no reason keeping a guy around if you don't think he's a guy.

Yes,  Elias could decide to let him go but he has to be judged as a AA talent at this point.   They probably need to see more of him.  He really hasn't pitched in a game that much. It doesn't make much sense to acquire Smith, Osich, Moore and others and then just let Araujo go over 17 days. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Yes,  Elias could decide to let him go but he has to be judged as a AA talent at this point.   They probably need to see more of him.  He really hasn't pitched in a game that much. It doesn't make much sense to acquire Smith, Osich, Moore and others and then just let Araujo go over 17 days. 

Remember, Elias and Hyde have no allegiances to Aruajo. His statcast info did show he had above average spin rate on his fastball last year and if the information this year show there's promise, then I would think they keep him. If however the analytics suggest he's not a guy, there is really no reason to keep him around for the 17 days. 

My educated guess is if the analytics are good, they'll keep him, if not, at 25-years old there's not much more development you can expect at this point.

I really wish statcast info was available during the spring, but from what I was told, only the home team has access to the statcast information during spring training.

A few things:

I think Araujo stays his 17 days. Otherwise, why is he still here? I mean, they know what they have by now, most likely. He has a swing and miss pitch, not sure if it’s a change/cb/split or whatever. When that pitch is on, he’s effective. 

Scott should go down to AAA, based on needing some work and polish. That would also allow them to keep Means, Wright, Hess and maybe Yac to get some length. None of the vet starters look ready yet, so will need length. 

Mullins should be the CF. He’s earned it, and I don’t care much about spring numbers. His defense is solid enough, despite the arm being a little short. 

Hays should be the RF, and he can slide to CF when Mullins needs a break. This makes Rickard expendable. 

Santander has really come back strong and he’s earned a spot. He has barreled balls from both sides, with power to all fields; and his defense has been very good. He looks fit and was moving well. 

Both rule 5 infielders are in. They have really been impressive. And I think they keep one more inf/utility. Not impressed with Escobar’s arm strength when he was at SS last week. Maybe he is/was banged up, and it was only one game I saw him, but that arm looked shot. If that is his arm strength, cut him and move on. Wilkerson may make it as he’s already on the roster, but Peterson still has a shot. With the questions at 3B, 1B and likely a 3 man bench, need as much flexibility as possible from the two non-catchers. 

The biggest question to me is what to do with Núñez. Ruiz has hit better, so far, and he is the better defender as well. Ruiz having options hurts him, probably. I think Nunez stays, with Ruiz getting at bats in Norfolk. Looks like Davis is getting healthy, so Núñez may not get much time at 1B. 

Sucre and Sisco are the catchers. 

Seems like Wynns, Trumbo and Karns seem destined for the IL.

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

A few things:

I think Araujo stays his 17 days. Otherwise, why is he still here? I mean, they know what they have by now, most likely. He has a swing and miss pitch, not sure if it’s a change/cb/split or whatever. When that pitch is on, he’s effective. 

Scott should go down to AAA, based on needing some work and polish. That would also allow them to keep Means, Wright, Hess and maybe Yac to get some length. None of the vet starters look ready yet, so will need length. 

Mullins should be the CF. He’s earned it, and I don’t care much about spring numbers. His defense is solid enough, despite the arm being a little short. 

Hays should be the RF, and he can slide to CF when Mullins needs a break. This makes Rickard expendable. 

Santander has really come back strong and he’s earned a spot. He has barreled balls from both sides, with power to all fields; and his defense has been very good. He looks fit and was moving well. 

Both rule 5 infielders are in. They have really been impressive. And I think they keep one more inf/utility. Not impressed with Escobar’s arm strength when he was at SS last week. Maybe he is/was banged up, and it was only one game I saw him, but that arm looked shot. If that is his arm strength, cut him and move on. Wilkerson may make it as he’s already on the roster, but Peterson still has a shot. With the questions at 3B, 1B and likely a 3 man bench, need as much flexibility as possible from the two non-catchers. 

The biggest question to me is what to do with Núñez. Ruiz has hit better, so far, and he is the better defender as well. Ruiz having options hurts him, probably. I think Nunez stays, with Ruiz getting at bats in Norfolk. Looks like Davis is getting healthy, so Núñez may not get much time at 1B. 

Sucre and Sisco are the catchers. 

Seems like Wynns, Trumbo and Karns seem destined for the IL.

All logical thoughts. I don't think Rickard is going anywhere though. He'll at least be the 4th outfielder.

2 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I want Hays to be one of our starting outfielders on opening day. I will be so excited if that happens. A outfield of Mullins, hays and Mancini sounds good to me.

An outfield of Santander, Mullins and Hays sound even better with Mancini at DH or 1B and Nunez as the other DH or 1B. But Davis and Trumbo clog up that potential for now unless the Orioles can find a way to IL them or eat their contracts.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

An outfield of Santander, Mullins and Hays sound even better with Mancini at DH or 1B and Nunez as the other DH or 1B. But Davis and Trumbo clog up that potential for now unless the Orioles can find a way to IL them or eat their contracts.

I surprised that Santander is making this run in ST.  I hope I'm underestimating him.

I didn't see much I liked last year.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I surprised that Santander is making this run in ST.  I hope I'm underestimating him.

I still remember seeing him in Bowie in 2017, he looked like a offensive force, especially from the left side. Just easy power, bat control, good pitch selection. He hasn’t looked like that since, this spring is the closest yet, but going back and watching video, he’s still not as loose and fluid with his swing as he was then.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Considering the injuries and the inactivity he has endured, he was rusty last year. He still has things to work on, and he has to stay after his body, but his swing consistency is the key for me. 

Here’s one of the big arguments against Arajuo. We have to add Sucre. So that means DFA’ing someone on the 40 man. If you’re not DFA’ing Arajuo then who?  Wilkerson?  Phillips?  So it’s not just keeping Arajuo for 17 days. It’s losing out on another player. 

Alberto doesn’t count because he’ll either make the 25 man or be DFA for Escobar. Personally I’d like to see 

Alberto for Escobar

Arajuo for Sucre

Wilkerson for an upgrade during the end of ST cuts. It would be nice to snag a SP with an option. 

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Here’s one of the big arguments against Arajuo. We have to add Sucre. So that means DFA’ing someone on the 40 man. If you’re not DFA’ing Arajuo then who?  Wilkerson?  Phillips?  So it’s not just keeping Arajuo for 17 days. It’s losing out on another player. 

Alberto doesn’t count because he’ll either make the 25 man or be DFA for Escobar. Personally I’d like to see 

Alberto for Escobar

Arajuo for Sucre

Wilkerson for an upgrade during the end of ST cuts. It would be nice to snag a SP with an option. 

Alberto and Phillips could be the two most vulnerable, but I wouldn’t keep Escobar. He’s a defensive liability now. Find some video on his throws this spring, it’s bad.

Alberto is out of options and likely not going to make this team. Phillips likely will not get claimed, and if he does, no big loss. Guys with his profile are available all the time. 

Wilkerson and Dwight Smith would likely be claimed, but I think they are the next two. 

Again, contract aside....what has Chris Davis done to justify a spot on the ML roster?

I do not think he has earned it.  I believe, keeping him on the roster will actually hinder the growth and development of the team moving forward.  It's not about losing a certain number of games, its about figuring out who can play and who cannot.

Wasting a roster spot for Arajuo for 17 days makes sense.  I do not think Davis is on the opening day roster.

Archived