Sure wish free agency in MLB was like NFL

bpilktree

The NFL seems to get it with having the free agency wait period then frenzy deals the first few days.  It gets the fans all into it and they don’t have to wait day after day hoping something may happen.  MLB has the winter meeting which although not the frenzy as NFL was atleast a time to look forward to for and get excited about.  Now it is just like watching paint dry with still some top guys not signed.

It used to be that way. Remember in Moneyball when Billy Beane was waiting at Scott Hattebergs doorstep at midnight of the first day of free agency?

Now the bubble is bursting (whether naturally or with coordination) and owners are willing to wait out the players and try to drive down the price as opposed to competing with each other to outbid one another to secure the services of a player. 

I think too many owners have been burned by Boras, et al and outbid themselves so they’re willing to be more patient now. It’s just interesting that it seems that all 30 owners seem to have adopted this strategy.

9 hours ago, bpilktree said:

The NFL seems to get it with having the free agency wait period then frenzy deals the first few days.  It gets the fans all into it and they don’t have to wait day after day hoping something may happen.  MLB has the winter meeting which although not the frenzy as NFL was atleast a time to look forward to for and get excited about.  Now it is just like watching paint dry with still some top guys not signed.

I wouldn't be against a transfer window like exists in other sports.  Make it January since that's probably the most dead month for baseball.  You can only sign free agents and work trades from January 1st through the 31st.  Maybe a 2nd window from June 1st to June 30th.

Yea, I'm not sure what you'd do about unsigned players on February 1st.  Come to think of it, I believe in soccer you can sign free agents any time, but it works all differently there.  Most transfers from one team to another are sales of players already under contract, and trades are rare.

I don't know.

Archived