3rd round of cuts

wildcard

16 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think Scott gets more time too, but man he has got show something if wants to make the 25 man roster.  I love his arm, but hoping he develops and doesn't end up being this generation's Brad Pennington.

It will be interesting to see how long Scott stays in camp and whether he makes the OD roster.  He has the pitches to make the roster if he can control his stuff.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I think his slider had one of the highest whiff rates in the majors, not sure how that’s “throws hard but that’s all”.

I just think it’s wild that the Orioles had a rookie reliever with a top 20 K rate in baseball and people aren’t excited about him.

If you focus only on the things he does well, it’s easy to be excited. However if you also think about the things he does badly, which is throw very wild at random times, Enthusiasm would reasonably be quite tempered.

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Drew has an advantage.  He is on the 40 man roster.  Peterson is not.

Peterson was really bad all last season. Jackson is doing very well and even if they hit exactly the same, Jackson has better defense at more positions. I think choosing him is a no brainer.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I think his slider had one of the highest whiff rates in the majors, not sure how that’s “throws hard but that’s all”.

I just think it’s wild that the Orioles had a rookie reliever with a top 20 K rate in baseball and people aren’t excited about him.

What about when he doesn’t throw a slider? All those walks are coming on something.

Look, I’m not trying to be contentious, and I’d love for him to succeed, but there’s good reason to doubt whether he can be a productive piece.

The minors are full of guys who throw very very hard without enough accuracy or variety to be a major league asset.

Scott hasn’t made enough progress to be dependable. He may make the team anyway, But it’s more because of poor competition than because of his own virtue.

54 minutes ago, Philip said:

What about when he doesn’t throw a slider? All those walks are coming on something.

Look, I’m not trying to be contentious, and I’d love for him to succeed, but there’s good reason to doubt whether he can be a productive piece.

The minors are full of guys who throw very very hard without enough accuracy or variety to be a major league asset.

Scott hasn’t made enough progress to be dependable. He may make the team anyway, But it’s more because of poor competition than because of his own virtue.

Tanner Scott is someone other clubs inquire about. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Nope. Nor does he need any time in the minors. 

Well, Elias can deal with his unpolishness in two ways.  Keep him in the majors and deal with the inconsistency or send him to the minors to work on it.  Flip a coin.

Just now, wildcard said:

Well, Elias can deal with his unpolishness in two ways.  Keep him in the majors and deal with the inconsistency or send him to the minors to work on it.  Flip a coin.

I assume that Fry and Bleier make the team  so that would make Tanner the third lefty. Which the team should have  

1 hour ago, weams said:

Tanner Scott is someone other clubs inquire about. 

Ok, and? They don’t want him for what he’s doing now, they want him for what they think he could be in the future. No one denies that he has potential, but also, no one denies that as he currently stands he is not at all a finished product, and he would probably not have a place in any other bullpen. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I’m not going to argue, but if you think I haven’t taken Tanner Scott’s weaknesses into account when considering his value, you haven’t been paying attention.

I’m not going to argue either, and I’m happy to disagree without rancor. I just think he’s too inconsistent to be on the big club at this time, and his negatives outweigh his positives.

23 minutes ago, Philip said:

Ok, and? They don’t want him for what he’s doing now, they want him for what they think he could be in the future. No one denies that he has potential, but also, no one denies that as he currently stands he is not at all a finished product, and he would probably not have a place in any other bullpen. 

I strongly disagree. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I’m not going to argue either, and I’m happy to disagree without rancor. I just think he’s too inconsistent to be on the big club at this time, and his negatives outweigh his positives.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I think he absolutely has a place on the big club of the worst team in the AL. 

Archived