3rd round of cuts

wildcard

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, I'm not worried about the answer, I just want the questions asked.

Maybe "You said this was an open competition to make the team this spring, and Hays has performed very well.  Was the talk of competition simply lip service as it appears?"

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I guess the only Elias/Hyde could stop Hays from hitting in camp was to cut him from camp.  

They are taking the long view.  Service time won out.

Certainly could be part of it, but it also could be the way Elias is saying, "Prove yourself in the minors and force your way to the big leagues."

Diaz, Hays, Santander and Ynoa had great springs, but other than Ynoa, none have had success above AA yet.

I would have liked to see Hays make the team from an excitement standpoint.

But I’m not at all surprised that a FO that values data driven decision making is using all the data available rather than just spring stats and a good scouting report on where he’s at now.

When you make your decisions based on data, they will run contrary to an emotion narrative at times.

Keep this in mind. If they want to take someone North who is hurt and they IL them (Trumbo, Wynns, Davis, or a pitcher), they can bring any of the ones cut today.

Now that camp is getting closer to ending, players will play longer so others won't get at bats or playing time. They still want to see what Dwight Smith Jr. can do, give Drew Jackson some more time in the outfield, and give Trumbo playing time. It was going to be a crunch.

I think this year will play out more enjoyably the more you can pretend the AAA Championship is the real World Series.

Sure Durham's pitching staff is maybe better than Baltimore's, but Norfolk may have an opportunity for a dazzling amount of raw talent for AAA by year's end.

My freshman year of college the basketball team was on the bubble, missed, but then won the NIT with a young team.  I believe that competitive experience was much more valuable for them the next three years than trying to eke out a 5/12 game.

Everybody who matters can get 1000 PA's from May 2020 before Opening Day 2022, and I think the experience loss this year only hurts if you have hopes of 2021 relevance, which I don't.

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Certainly could be part of it, but it also could be the way Elias is saying, "Prove yourself in the minors and force your way to the big leagues."

Just like Richie Martin and Drew Jackson proved themselves at AAA and forced their way to the majors. 

6 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

Just like Richie Martin and Drew Jackson proved themselves at AAA and forced their way to the majors. 

Neither have the potential that Hays has. Rule 5 guys (well 1 is) that were acquired to fill holes on ML roster. If they become something, it’s more like winning lotto. 

39 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Well we know that is BS. But it does have to do with showcasing other assets for trade so depends how you view it...

I dunno that it's BS. Hays was injured all last year, why not play it safe and let him tear up AAA for awhile? I think that's what Elias means... It's about development not service time.

19 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

That's a different situation completely. Both Martin and Jackson must be kept on the roster all season so the Orioles can keep them in the organization. You can guarantee if Santander, Hays or Diaz were rule 5 guys all three would still be in camp.  

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I dunno that it's BS. Hays was injured all last year, why not play it safe and let him tear up AAA for awhile? I think that's what Elias means... It's about development not service time.

This is really what it's all about. Elias said early on in camp that spring training stats mean very little to the overall picture unless it's a tiebreaker situation. Hays and Diaz have never played above AA, and Santander has never had sustained success above AA. Let them go to Norfolk and play everyday and kick the door down to Baltimore. 

Would it be more exciting to watch these guys than Rickard, Young Jr. or Smith Jr.? Sure. But again, it's not about this year, it's about 2-3 years from now.

Archived