3rd round of cuts

wildcard

Just now, Tony-OH said:

This is really what it's all about. Elias said early on in camp that spring training stats mean very little to the overall picture unless it's a tiebreaker situation. Hays and Diaz have never played above AA, and Santander has never had sustained success above AA. Let them go to Norfolk and play everyday and kick the door down to Baltimore. 

Would it be more exciting to watch these guys than Rickard, Young Jr. or Smith Jr.? Sure. But again, it's not about this year, it's about 2-3 years from now.

Hays has played above AA.

He played really poorly while he was in the majors but it did happen.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hays has played above AA.

He played really poorly while he was in the majors but it did happen.

STOP! You know what I meant. That's the kind of dumb comment I expect from some others but not you. Did i really need to specify that? I mean, it's bad enough you liked an uneducated post about Martin and Jackson not playing above AA being the same as Hays, Diaz and Santander. You are better than these posts.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

STOP! You know what I meant. That's the kind of dumb comment I expect from some others but not you. Did i really need to specify that? I mean, it's bad enough you liked an uneducated post about Martin and Jackson not playing above AA being the same as Hays, Diaz and Santander. You are better than these posts.

Actually I think the fact that I mentioned how poorly he played shows that I was just trying to improve your accuracy and not undermine your overriding point.

As for the post I upvoted, I found it amusing and we have already established we have dissimilar senses of humor.

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Can we at least wait until the regular season starts before we have thoughts of violence against the pitching staff.  ?

I am sure Wright will provide all the horror we need:)

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Hats off to Trezza for asking that question. In the past the beat media would be scared to ask that type of question.

Amen! I despise the Beats avoiding asking pointed questions. They have to be respectful or they lose access, but it’s their job to ask meaningful questions and to push back against claptrap answers. It’s a delicate balance, but they never ever did, all the while insisting otherwise. Good for you, Joe.

( although I personally think it is utterly impossible for service time to NOT be a part of the reason.)

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Think I have the answer, more or less.   On Sept. 24 last year Hays was put on the 60-day DL to have ankle surgery.    Those days during the season count as major league service.    That still seems to leave him short 2 days, but I’ll asume maybe the reporting lagged.    Why they bothered putting him on the DL at that point is a little beyond me but presumably they were making room for some other move. 

[Edit: they added John Means to the roster the same day.]

Good work. Makes sense. 

That happened to Bundy in 2015.  

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

After today Wright looks ready. ?‍♂️

Wasn’t Earl Weaver the one that said about a player : “he had more chances than my ex wife”? LOL Not sure which player he was talking about though. 

My guess is they see Wright as a subpar pitcher that can eat innings and ensure a high draft pick. Sad but probably true.  He can stay healthy. 

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

Wasn’t Earl Weaver the one that said about a player : “he had more chances than my ex wife”? LOL Not sure which player he was talking about though. 

My guess is they see Wright as a subpar pitcher that can eat innings and ensure a high draft pick. Sad but probably true.  He can stay healthy. 

Also out of options, I’m guessing Elias gives him the first half of the season before DFA.

55 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

This might be the only thing most of the O's roster is good at.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

After today Wright looks ready. ?‍♂️

Wright's ERA is substantially lower than Cobb , Cashner, Bundy, and Hess. But we already know that the new coaches do not consider ST stats.

Archived