TT: Development is key in 3rd round of cuts

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I have to admit though that even though I know he's lying I really thought he handled the service time question well by saying it was "ZERO" about that.  I really wanted to believe him, and that's a credit to his delivery and interview skills.  If I didn't know better I would definitely have accepted that answer.

Yes - that was my take away from ME.  He was tough.  He didn't do a DD dance around.  He "acted" offended by the question.

2019-Austin-Hays-spring-696x733.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildcard said:

Sisco is not going to be cut.  This service time in at 156 day.   Sending him down buys them nothing.   He is playing well enough to be in the majors.   Sucre will be added as his backup and Alberto with the DFA to make room just before opening day in an effort to get him to the minors.

Agree on Sucre/Alberto. If Sisco is not cut, it will further the narrative that it's about service time rather than straight development. I think Sisco gets cut. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I don't know that he's lying. In both cases, Hays and Santander did not dominate last year in the minors. It's not ALL about service time, and I'm willing to bet they are up as soon as they're ready. 

It may not be all about it but it's certainly not "ZERO" about it.   I think it's probably mostly about it.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I have to admit though that even though I know he's lying I really thought he handled the service time question well by saying it was "ZERO" about that.  I really wanted to believe him, and that's a credit to his delivery and interview skills.  If I didn't know better I would definitely have accepted that answer.

The league and union do not allow him to say anything about service time.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

So I hear.  Perhaps one could say he was thus 'forced' into a situation where he had to lie.  If so, I'm just pointing out he does it better than we are used to seeing.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Sisco is not going to be cut.  This service time in at 156 day.   Sending him down buys them nothing.   He is playing well enough to be in the majors.   Sucre will be added as his backup and Alberto with the DFA to make room just before opening day in an effort to get him to the minors.

Put it this way, if Sisco is sent down, it won’t be for service time reasons.  However, he has cooled off considerably after his hot first week, and it’s been noticeable that he hasn’t been playing as often as the regular catcher normally would in the spring.    So, I don’t consider him a shoe-in.    The fact that he’s already on the 40-man roster is a huge point in his favor.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Is the First Amendment not in play here?  Is this a totalitarian state?  Oops!  

Sorry - caffeine talking - but enough of the bs!  You do not know any more than we do, just saying!

@wildcard Saying Sisco is a lock to make the team is basically saying the ONLY thing that matters is service time. We know that's not true. Elias is obviously going to consider development as well. Sisco does not have the minor league track record of even Mullins. Saying he won't be sent down because you can't buy an extra year is kind of selling Elias short. The guy's not going to make all decisions based on that.

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Is the First Amendment not in play here?  Is this a totalitarian state?  Oops!  

Sorry - caffeine talking - but enough of the bs!  You do not know any more than we do, just saying!

Now that would depend on what you know.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

@wildcard Saying Sisco is a lock to make the team is basically saying the ONLY thing that matters is service time. We know that's not true. Elias is obviously going to consider development as well. Sisco does not have the minor league track record of even Mullins. Saying he won't be sent down because you can't buy an extra year is kind of selling Elias short. The guy's not going to make all decisions based on that.

Sisco spend almost all of 2017 in AAA where he had a 340 OBP.  He spend all of 2018 between the Majors and AAA.   His best teachers are Don Long and Tim Cossins who with the O's.   If the O's are not about winning but about the development the best place for him is with the O's.

The cuts were mildly surprising, considering what was said by management about competing for a job, etc... But the cuts made sense for development and service time reasons. I am disappointed as we arrived here in Sarasota Saturday, and was hoping to catch Hays and Santander. 

I would not bet on Sisco making the OD roster. He may, but if Wynns is healthy, I believe it is he and Sucre. Sisco ambushed some fastballs early in Spring, and the defense looks improved, but let’s keep his development going in AAA. He has many things to work on. If you’re sending down Hays, then you’ll likely send down Sisco if other options exist. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sisco spend almost all of 2017 in AAA where he had a 340 OBP.  He spend all of 2018 between the Majors and AAA.   His best teachers are Don Long and Tim Cossins who with the O's.   If the O's are not about winning but about the development the best place for him is with the O's.

That's the strongest case I've heard yet. I'm not sure why folks are leading with the 157 days thing. If that's a factor, it's not much of one. 

However, .340 OBP at AAA is not super convincing for me. 

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sisco has a full season of AAA experience. Sisco has at least as strong of a MiLB track record as Mullins if not stronger, plus he was younger at each level. 

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Sisco has a full season of AAA experience. Sisco has at least as strong of a MiLB track record as Mullins if not stronger, plus he was younger at each level. 

But does the quality of that experience qualify him to be a big leauger? I say probably not, because he just hasn't hit and that's supposed to be his best tool. But I also agree Cossins/Long helping him at the big league level would be good. 

Fair enough re: Mullins. 

Archived