O’s Trade for Another Catcher

Rene88

1 hour ago, theocean said:

It's weird how DD got toasted by fans and the media about the lack of international signings, but Elias gets the benefit of the doubt while doing the same thing.

It’s because of the timing.   Also, I don’t think DD really got toasted.   Most people understood that was an Angelos call.   

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or Sanchez, or Mesa, or Gaston.

Basically anyone that might cost real money.

You can't judge Elias based on Mesa or Gaston.   He wasn't here yet.

Certainly fair to judge based on Sanchez or the catcher, if we don't get them.

6 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Any chance he is a clone of Ivan Rodriquez?  You know who had a cannon for an arm and was one hell of a catcher?  Maybe a cousin or something?  I'm reaching for anything here.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ivan was in the majors at 19.

I hear Einstein’s cousin got a 700 on the math portion of the SAT.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

My point was in reference to the Orioles in general not Elias specifically.

It's not very logical to discuss what the Orioles did when they were rudderless and GM-less in October and anything they have done since Elias was hired.  Apples and oranges.

Just now, SteveA said:

It's not very logical to discuss what the Orioles did when they were rudderless and GM-less in October and anything they have done since Elias was hired.  Apples and oranges.

How is it not logical to discuss them not signing players when my argument is ownership is not allocating money to be spent on expensive International talent?

It’s amazing how little of the discussion has been about whether this new guy is any good. Dan was an idiot. He was handicapped by ownership, that is true, but  he made plenty of awful moves and non-moves all on his own

But so what? He’s gone, and Mike has only been on the job for a few months. It’s way way too early to find fault with his process. I don’t understand or agree with some of what he’s done, but I’m perfectly willing to wait and see. Meanwhile, is this new guy any good?

Just now, Philip said:

It’s amazing how little of the discussion has been about whether this new guy is any good. Dan was an idiot. He was handicapped by ownership, that is true, but  he made plenty of awful moves and Non Emergency all on his own. But so what. He’s gone, and Mike has only been on the job for a few months. It’s way way too early to find fault with his process. I don’t understand or agree with some of what he’s done, but I’m perfectly willing to wait and see. Meanwhile, is this new guy any good?

Guys that are good don't generally repeat rookie ball.  He hasn't played much.

He certainly doesn't look like he will turn into an asset.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yet you keep saying he is. Odd.

By the way, I'll stop talking about Elias trading away slot money once Elias stops trading away slot money.

On the bright side the Phillies are probably about capped out on slot money by now, so Mike will have to find a new trade partner.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Guys that are good don't generally repeat rookie ball.  He hasn't played much.

He certainly doesn't look like he will turn into an asset.

So we acquired a guy for cheap who is organizational depth, but who might have something worth developing.

meh...

no need for all the hullabaloo.

If Mike is spending our international money, it is probably because he doesn’t think he’s going to have a better use for it. There are several reasons why that might be true.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

By the way, I'll stop talking about Elias trading away slot money once Elias stops trading away slot money.

On the bright side the Phillies are probably about capped out on slot money by now, so Mike will have to find a new trade partner.

Who is it that you want him to spend the money on? Is there a player you know of? If he doesn’t see a fit maybe he feels trading it away for guys and hoping something sticks down the road is what’s best for the organization? 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How is it not logical to discuss them not signing players when my argument is ownership is not allocating money to be spent on expensive International talent?

We don't know who was making decisions in October.   It's certainly reasonable to assume that someone in a caretaker position, possibly Graham, would be risk averse in a situation where they know they are just a very temporary steward.   And that means not spending money.

Elias has been in charge since he was hired and I'm only going to judge the Orioles' actions on that time period.   And in fact he has given up some international cap space on several occasions, and has not signed anyone major (although by most accounts the only two people who qualify as major haven't signed with ANYONE yet).   So there is definitely some decent circumstantial evidence for your theory, but I refuse to include October as part of it because we just have no idea what authority existed for Graham or anyone else during that period.

Archived