Dwight Smith Jr starting left fielder?

wildcard

Could happen.   If Mark Trumbo and Renato Nunez begin the season on the IL.  Mancini becomes the DH.   Smith, Mullins and Rickard may be the starting outfield.      Maybe they start Jackson in left field instead.

Peterson could also make the team.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Could happen.   If Mark Trumbo and Renato Nunez begin the season on the IL.  Mancini becomes the DH.   Smith, Mullins and Rickard may be the starting outfield.      Maybe they start Jackson in left field instead.

Peterson could also make the team.

I think they try to sneak Peterson through DFA. 

I like Smith as an option. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It makes sense with the push towards defense.  I really don't think they want Mancini out there.

I believe Mancini would hit better if he didn't play the OF, like yesterday.

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think they try to sneak Peterson through DFA. 

I like Smith as an option. 

Peterson is on a minor league contract.   He is not on the 40 man roster.  He does not need to be DFA'd to be sent to the minors.

Another thought.   Wilkerson is vulnerable to be DFA'd if Elias brings another player on to the 40 man roster through a wire claim or trade.    However if that does not happen, Wilkerson could also be recalled from AAA to replace either Trumbo or Nunez who may be placed on the IL.   

The advantage of recalling Wilkerson is that he is already on the 40 man roster vs Peterson who is not and someone would have to be exposed to waivers to get Peterson on to the 40 man roster.

So Wilkerson could be any where between on the 25 man roster to being DFA'd in the next few days.

11 minutes ago, Natty said:

I believe Mancini would hit better if he didn't play the OF, like yesterday.

Could be.    Career splits:

LF .729 OPS in 732 PA

1B: .801 OPS in 334 PA

DH: .928 OPS in 156 PA

Those aren’t huge sample sizes and it could be purely coincidental, but there’s at least some evidence to support you.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Another thought.   Wilkerson is vulnerable to be DFA'd if Elias brings another player on to the 40 man roster through a wire claim or trade.    However if that does not happen, Wilkerson could also be recalled from AAA to replace either Trumbo or Nunez who may be placed on the IL.   

So Wilkerson could be any where between on the 25 man roster to being DFA'd in the next few days.

Is Wilkerson that valuable? We have plenty of OF depth. We'll have Jace Peterson for the IF. We could option Ruiz... not likely but we could if Nunez is healthy. So Wilkerson is kind of redundant. And might not be claimed anyways.

7 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Is Wilkerson that valuable? We have plenty of OF depth. We'll have Jace Peterson for the IF. We could option Ruiz... not likely but we could if Nunez is healthy. So Wilkerson is kind of redundant. And might not be claimed anyways.

Its a question of keeping players in the organization.   Injuries happen.   Last season Wilkerson hit for a 829 OPS at AAA.   He plays a lot of positions.   There is a way to keep both Wilkerson and Peterson in the organization to begin the season and see who does better.

Then again Elias could claim a player and DFA Wilkerson this afternoon.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its a question of keeping players in the organization.   Injuries happen.   Last season Wilkerson hit for a 829 OPS at AAA.   He plays a lot of positions.   There is a way to keep both Wilkerson and Peterson in the organization to begin the season and see who does better.

Then again Elias could claim a player and DFA Wilkerson this afternoon.

That I didn't know (or bother to check.) I did check, Drew Jackson has 5 starts at 3B in his short pro career... Just thinking about a possible backup if Ruiz were optioned.

Archived