Let's enjoy the 2019 Orioles warts and all

Diehard_O's_Fan

29 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Man Trumbo gets a bad rap, getting lumped I'm with Davis.  If healthy, he could be one of the most productive players on the team. I guess the main argument against him is that he's blocking youth, but the fact is it appears the young guys wouldn't be up even if there's no one blocking them.

That’s not exactly a compliment given the current state of the roster.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, forphase1 said:

I'm strangely more excited for this year than I was last year.  I'm excited to hopefully see the dark ages put behind us (Peter's influence, no international presence, etc etc, analytics not used, no uniformity between various levels of team), and quite frankly I'd soured on Buck, so I'm glad to see the change there.  Obviously we have some issues still with Davis on the roster, but with Trumbo on the DL the lineup is so vastly different.  Will we be bad?  For sure.  Will it sometimes be 'boring', probably.  But I'm excited to see some new faces, and hopefully seeing a...fire that didn't seem to often be there last year, and maybe wasn't really there even before last year.

And to clarify, I liked Buck and am glad he was here and helped to make us respectable again.  But some of his managerial decisions were really poor (playoffs with Britton as an obvious example) and other times he was way to stubborn with his 'stars' and put the team in bad positions because of it (keeping starters in the game too long, continuing to bat Davis is the middle of the lineup, batting Davis at all, etc etc).  I'm very curious to see the new managing style.

I'll admit I'm not, but only because I expected last year's team to be competitive. I am definitely more excited for this season than I should be.

Count me in among the many who no matter what is happy to put last season in the rear view mirror.  No, they aren't going to be very good than last year.  But, with the talent on the team presently I can't really expect them to be right now.  Last year, that wasn't the case.  There is absolutely no reason for a team with the players it had on it last season, before the trade deadline, to put out what it did last season.  This team isn't going to be very good, but I'd rather lose knowing the team is putting out an effort and is hungry for something than a bunch of players who'd lost their way and at some point simply stopped caring, and a leadership that was simply just going through the motions.

I haven't posted in here despite lurking for years, but I felt the need to say that we finally have direction and this will require patience from the owners, management, and fans alike. It will likely turn into a long, patience-testing affair, but at least for me, they have now adopted a concrete path by bringing in experienced folks who know modern baseball and have shown it works. Here's to accelerated prosperity and bringing along young orioles. Happy opening day of Baseball to all! Let's get some this year Young Orioles!!!

10 minutes ago, sterlingbird19 said:

I haven't posted in here despite lurking for years, but I felt the need to say that we finally have direction and this will require patience from the owners, management, and fans alike. It will likely turn into a long, patience-testing affair, but at least for me, they have now adopted a concrete path by bringing in experienced folks who know modern baseball and have shown it works. Here's to accelerated prosperity and bringing along young orioles. Happy opening day of Baseball to all! Let's get some this year Young Orioles!!!

Agreed.  Good post, you should post more often.

21 minutes ago, sterlingbird19 said:

Good post. Thanks for joining in. 

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed.  Good post, you should post more often.

Thank you! I used to post some back in the day but the work got so busy, plus I am not very much into analytics and stats like you guys are, which is great for me to learn some. By nature, I am an optimist and been in on recent good performances by the Buck-lead teams. I think the ownership transition has been a breath of fresh air so far and we, as fans, appreciate that and I have noticed in here as well over the last few months. I am also fan of lots of folks in here who bring knowledge and share their opinions, of course you being one of them, so thank you all for your insight. I'll continue to watch as time permits and I wish you all well!

Just now, sterlingbird19 said:

Thank you! I used to post some back in the day but the work got so busy, plus I am not very much into analytics and stats like you guys are, which is great for me to learn some. By nature, I am an optimist and been in on recent good performances by the Buck-lead teams. I think the ownership transition has been a breath of fresh air so far and we, as fans, appreciate that and I have noticed in here as well over the last few months. I am also fan of lots of folks in here who bring knowledge and share their opinions, of course you being one of them, so thank you all for your insight. I'll continue to watch as time permits and I wish you all well!

I agree on almost all of your counts. I am no scout or mathematician. But I sure do enjoy good (or improving) baseball when I see it at any level. 

40 minutes ago, sterlingbird19 said:

Yes! A plan! Wow! 

I just keep thinking back to the last couple of years where it was like pulling teeth trying to decipher what the actual plan was short or long term. Everyone was coming up on expiring contracts, they were yo-yo'ing all the prospects. They made a last second "uhh sure what the heck" Cobb signing. Just seemed like they were flying by the seat of their pants at every turn. And maybe there was a concrete plan, but Dan - for all his positives as a GM, where I believe there were some - was a poor communicator. Not only to fans, but to the players, the agents, and the media. So it was up to Buck to say some Buck things and his voice was becoming less and less effective. 

On 3/27/2019 at 12:06 AM, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

It seems like alot of you guys are allready wishing the 2019 season was over. I would like to encourage all of you to enjoy the 2019 Orioles. Yeah, I know the Orioles will be battling with the Jays for last place. However, that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the season. Let's enjoy Brandon's first year as a MLB manager. Let's enjoy having great leadership in Mike and Sig. Let's enjoy players making there MLB debut. Let's enjoy a team that will hustle and play their hearts out.  Let's enjoy sunny days at Camden Yards. I have never been to Camden so consider yourself lucky if you have been there. Cheer up guys! We endured 14 years of losing. We can handle whatever the 2019 season throws at us. I will proudly support the 2019 Orioles. I hope you will too.

Not going to lie a battle for last place would be exciting. No way we’re within 20 games of 4th. Anyway opening day is opening day.  Let’s go Os!

Archived