Let's enjoy the 2019 Orioles warts and all

Diehard_O's_Fan

It seems like alot of you guys are allready wishing the 2019 season was over. I would like to encourage all of you to enjoy the 2019 Orioles. Yeah, I know the Orioles will be battling with the Jays for last place. However, that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the season. Let's enjoy Brandon's first year as a MLB manager. Let's enjoy having great leadership in Mike and Sig. Let's enjoy players making there MLB debut. Let's enjoy a team that will hustle and play their hearts out.  Let's enjoy sunny days at Camden Yards. I have never been to Camden so consider yourself lucky if you have been there. Cheer up guys! We endured 14 years of losing. We can handle whatever the 2019 season throws at us. I will proudly support the 2019 Orioles. I hope you will too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading Astroball, I want to see if  they can get some improved performance out of pitchers who have never looked that great by analyzing their pitches and figuring out which pitches work best, tweaking grip, etc.   Can they get more out of guys like Mike Wright, Yacobonis, Hess, and others.

If they are good at putting guys in places where they have a chance of succeeding, then I think our bullpen could actually be pretty good.

But we are going to lose some ugly games where we don't score and our starter gives up a ton.  It won't be pretty.

The best thing will be the age of the position players. Outside of Davis with Trumbo on the DL you have everyone just about in their mid to upper 20’s trying to establish themselves or produce to get to arbitration. 

Last years team, players and manager was stale. Everyone knew it was the end.

This is the beginning, even if it won’t start out pretty, they are building, not tearing down anymore. Just have to accept the season for what it is.  

6 hours ago, atomic said:

Well until the Capitals season ends I will be watching them.  Perhaps a good year to become a DC United fan.  If they bring prospects up I will start watching.  Until then I can read about the games.

The Capitals only play 3-4 times a week, and some of those are at times that don’t conflict with the Orioles.   

I’m looking forward to watching some baseball.    Some things I’m going to be interested in are:

- How good is Richie Martin’s defense?

- How many bases will Jonathan Villar steal?

- Does Cedric Mullins play good defense and hold his own on offense?

- Does anybody in the rotation step up and have a good year?

- Does the team play alert, fundamentally sound baseball?

That’s enough to keep me interested for a while.    

It is a challenge to stay invested in a season where there is no hope for a postseason birth.  I was pretty checked out in the dark years.  But I think part of that was I didn't believe we had a long term plan.   So this year might be different for me.  Following a losing team with eyes on the future is a new thing around here.  

I've had a blast all spring and this is the first season in a few years I've been 100% engaged. I love the new direction, I love reading about the incremental upgrades to analytics and international market. The players seem excited about the changes and embracing analytics. There's a new guy in the dugout. Plenty of players to track in the minors. Still a lot of interesting players at the big league level.

I'm all in!

6 hours ago, atomic said:

Well until the Capitals season ends I will be watching them.  Perhaps a good year to become a DC United fan.  If they bring prospects up I will start watching.  Until then I can read about the games.

Specifically  which prospects. A list please. 

Amen brothers.

I'm thankful for the Buck/Machado/Jones run, and that they took a longshot chance on that group last year, and that this process is starting now.  My boy is 4 this week, and I'm optimistic we'll have a core in place to make his formative years respectable with Rutschman perhaps to him what Eddie Murray was to me.

I can make do with Paw Patrol for now, and even sending Mountcastle and Diaz back as ringers for the Eastern League playoffs, Slap Shot-style.

Archived