Let's enjoy the 2019 Orioles warts and all

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It'll be hard not to get irate but I'm gonna try.  Bad baseball isn't fun to watch, but I'm glad the season is here.

Losing sucks, but back in the 14 years of hell, there was no real plan in place.

We know it sucked the past couple of season, but a clean slate and new regime in place, emphasis on rebuilding and retooling this team into a long term contender.

So for now, no pain no gain, if we get back to winning baseball in Oct and beyond, then its worth it.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It'll be hard not to get irate but I'm gonna try.  Bad baseball isn't fun to watch, but I'm glad the season is here.

The thing about this season is there's no expectations. You, me, and Elias know the rotation is in shambles and the offense is trash. There's no veil attempting to be pulled over our eyes in the name of "competing". There's actually a good reason to have 3 rule 5 guys on the roster for once. They didn't just talk about improving the defense like Buck/Dan did, they actually did it (Martin, two defensive catchers, Ruiz, Mullins). 

Everyone is on the level. Bleier, Givens, Cashner, and Cobb will all likely be traded if there's an offer worth considering. There's a distinct LACK OF BULLS**T that I really appreciate. It makes it all much easier to watch, IMO. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

The thing about this season is there's no expectations. You, me, and Elias know the rotation is in shambles and the offense is trash. There's no veil attempting to be pulled over our eyes in the name of "competing". There's actually a good reason to have 3 rule 5 guys on the roster for once. They didn't just talk about improving the defense like Buck/Dan did, they actually did it (Martin, two defensive catchers, Ruiz, Mullins). 

Everyone is on the level. Bleier, Givens, Cashner, and Cobb will all likely be traded if there's an offer worth considering. There's a distinct LACK OF BULLS**T that I really appreciate. It makes it all much easier to watch, IMO. 

Totally agree.  I just wish there was SOMETHING to look forward to, like had Hays, Diaz made the team out of camp, hell even Santander.

Martin, kinda interested in him, Jackson too.  But no one too REALLY look forward to right now..at least, for me.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Totally agree.  I just wish there was SOMETHING to look forward to, like had Hays, Diaz made the team out of camp, hell even Santander.

Martin, kinda interested in him, Jackson too.  But no one too REALLY look forward to right now..at least, for me.

Yeah.. Mullins? Haha. I hear you on this. There's not even really an exciting young bullpen arm with Scott in AAA. 

1 hour ago, ExileAngelos said:

It is a challenge to stay invested in a season where there is no hope for a postseason birth.  I was pretty checked out in the dark years.  But I think part of that was I didn't believe we had a long term plan.   So this year might be different for me.  Following a losing team with eyes on the future is a new thing around here.  

2011 season was fun.  We had 5 position players with 2.6 WAR or more.  Pitching was terrible but knocking the Red Sox out at the end was great.

2005 season was fun until they fired Mazilli and all the players got suspended for PEDs or B-12 shots.

There can be interesting bad teams.  This team is not in the least bit interesting.  Really it would be hard to find a minor league team less interesting than the 2019 Orioles. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The Capitals only play 3-4 times a week, and some of those are at times that don’t conflict with the Orioles.   

I’m looking forward to watching some baseball.    Some things I’m going to be interested in are:

- How good is Richie Martin’s defense?

- How many bases will Jonathan Villar steal?

- Does Cedric Mullins play good defense and hold his own on offense?

- Does anybody in the rotation step up and have a good year?

- Does the team play alert, fundamentally sound baseball?

That’s enough to keep me interested for a while.    

Hopefully Mullins and Villar have good seasons. If not I suspect in a month or so  you will talking about how you stopped watching the games. 

The one kicker is if Villar has a good season he will likely be traded before the season is over.  Same with Cobb, Bundy and Cashner.  

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

2011 season was fun.  We had 5 position players with 2.6 WAR or more.  Pitching was terrible but knocking the Red Sox out at the end was great.

2005 season was fun until they fired Mazilli and all the players got suspended for PEDs or B-12 shots.

There can be interesting bad teams.  This team is not in the least bit interesting.  Really it would be hard to find a minor league team less interesting than the 2019 Orioles. 

2011 ended well, that was a great finish. The summer that year was awful. Wondered if it would ever turn around. After the way 2010 ended I was hoping for more. 

10 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

It seems like alot of you guys are allready wishing the 2019 season was over. I would like to encourage all of you to enjoy the 2019 Orioles. Yeah, I know the Orioles will be battling with the Jays for last place. However, that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the season. Let's enjoy Brandon's first year as a MLB manager. Let's enjoy having great leadership in Mike and Sig. Let's enjoy players making there MLB debut. Let's enjoy a team that will hustle and play their hearts out.  Let's enjoy sunny days at Camden Yards. I have never been to Camden so consider yourself lucky if you have been there. Cheer up guys! We endured 14 years of losing. We can handle whatever the 2019 season throws at us. I will proudly support the 2019 Orioles. I hope you will too.

I’m with you on that. Enjoy the season and cheer for the team.

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe Elias is right, and those need a bit more seasoning, if it helps their long term productivity, then so be it.

9 hours ago, SteveA said:

After reading Astroball, I want to see if  they can get some improved performance out of pitchers who have never looked that great by analyzing their pitches and figuring out which pitches work best, tweaking grip, etc.   Can they get more out of guys like Mike Wright, Yacobonis, Hess, and others.

If they are good at putting guys in places where they have a chance of succeeding, then I think our bullpen could actually be pretty good.

But we are going to lose some ugly games where we don't score and our starter gives up a ton.  It won't be pretty.

But that’s okay. They are the Orioles. You got to cheer for them. Win or lose you got to be for them.

1 hour ago, ExileAngelos said:

It is a challenge to stay invested in a season where there is no hope for a postseason birth.  I was pretty checked out in the dark years.  But I think part of that was I didn't believe we had a long term plan.   So this year might be different for me.  Following a losing team with eyes on the future is a new thing around here.  

I’ve been a fan for 60 years. I’ve gone through many years of losing. I can’t be a fan only when the team wins. Support the team win or lose. I don’t find that hard at all. 

Archived