Orioles Wright the Ship, win 5-3

mdbdotcom

33 minutes ago, weams said:

I think this is pretty much it. But the cutter looks good. 

I do like the addition of the cutter. It has nice movement. But it seems Wright was back to worrying about velocity. He had no idea where the fastball was going.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Seemed to me he was throwing with a downward trajectory, as he had in his first few ST games.

I wasn't sold on Wright's early ST dominance. Once he started seeing the regulars more later on, he struggled.

I hope Wright is successful. He seems like a good guy and I really like the cause he pitches for.

I just don't think all of a sudden Mike Wright is going to find fastball command at 27 years old. Hope I'm way off.

9 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I wasn't sold on Wright's early ST dominance. Once he started seeing the regulars more later on, he struggled.

I hope Wright is successful. He seems like a good guy and I really like the cause he pitches for.

I just don't think all of a sudden Mike Wright is going to find fastball command at 27 years old. Hope I'm way off.

Whether or not he has good command, he seems to get better results when he throws downhill.

31 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Whether or not he has good command, he seems to get better results when he throws downhill.

I think that's the case with most pitchers. Especially tall ones. Can he repeat his delivery? That's another issue Wright has had. 

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do think we’ve seen that velocity from him a few times in the past, leading to people getting very excited (for a short time) about how he might do as a reliever.   For example, his first outing after the got called up in 2017, he had a very similar outing to yesterday: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K’s, topped out at 97.9.  http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=5&day=31&year=2017&game=gid_2017_05_31_nyamlb_balmlb_1%2F&pitchSel=605541&prevGame=gid_2017_05_31_nyamlb_balmlb_1%2F&prevDate=531&league=mlb

Here’s another (less successful) one inning outing a couple weeks later where he topped out at 97.4   

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?s_type=3&sp_type=1&batterX=0&year=2017&month=6&day=10&pitchSel=605541.xml&game=gid_2017_06_10_balmlb_nyamlb_1/&prevGame=gid_2017_06_10_balmlb_nyamlb_1/

So he definitely has that in him, but I just haven’t seen him do it consistently, either velocity-wise or getting his pitches to the spots he wants with enough frequency.   Like everyone else, I’d be happy if it turns out differently this time, but I’d probably need to see two consecutive strong months from him to believe he was turning a corner as opposed to just locking in very temporarily.   

You spend a lot of time just trying to find the one little part of a statement that may not have been 100 percent true.

Saying that, I agree with your point that we need to see it from Wright more consistently, and i'm not holding my breath that it will happen.

Palmer:  "I was talking to Mike Wright and said to him,  you threw 92 on opening day and on Saturday you were throwing 96.   What was the difference?"   

Mike:   "Oh, I didn't warm up enough on opening day."

No I am not kidding.  Palmer just said that a little after 3pm during the rain delay.

3 hours ago, weams said:

For me either. But to call it a bad Wright outing is not right. 

Wrong....in perspective.

3 hours ago, weams said:

He was awesome!

Wrong...he was successful.

Scientifically proving forever, that two wrongs do not make a Wright.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Palmer:  "I was talking to Mike Wright and said to him,  you threw 92 on opening day and on Saturday you were throwing 96.   What was the difference?"   

Mike:   "Oh, I didn't warm up enough on opening day."

No I am not kidding.  Palmer just said that a little after 3pm during the rain delay.

giphy.gif

On 3/31/2019 at 2:35 PM, Tony-OH said:

You spend a lot of time just trying to find the one little part of a statement that may not have been 100 percent true.

Saying that, I agree with your point that we need to see it from Wright more consistently, and i'm not holding my breath that it will happen.

Wright pitched the 8th last night and his FB was generally at 95, as low as 93 on some pitches.   Used his cutter a few times at 90, including one that got tattooed for a solo homer.    Totally acceptable performance with a 6-2 lead, but he didn’t have the zip or the location that he did on Saturday.   

Archived