Orioles Wright the Ship, win 5-3

mdbdotcom

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was a mixed bag, with good results.    Threw a few pitches nowhere near where he wanted them.     Threw a hittable pitch to Stanton that he missed.    Got unlucky with Voigt’s fly ball.   Struck out the final batter on a pretty nasty pitch.    Had several other good 96-97 mph fastballs.    I’ll take it, but the outing doesn’t convince me that Wright is going to be good consistently if we use him as a one-inning reliever.    

Agreed. Saying that, we've only seen that Wright one other time and that was in his major league debut. I disagree a bit on the cutter that Stanton missed. That was a perfectly located front door cutter that hit the inside corner.

Wright has always been a guy that struggled in big moments, so to see him come in that game so hyped up that he threw 4-5 MPH faster than he usually does and got the middle of the order out was impressive.

Wright needs to figure out how to bottle up that emotion and find that more often on the mound. I've always said I wanted to see Wright in a one-two inning role vs a starter or middle reliever, but he's pitched in that role before and din't have that kind of velocity. 

That's see how he shows up the next game, but I was impressed yesterday by him for the first time in a long time.

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. Saying that, we've only seen that Wright one other time and that was in his major league debut. I disagree a bit on the cutter that Stanton missed. That was a perfectly located front door cutter that hit the inside corner.

Wright has always been a guy that struggled in big moments, so to see him come in that game so hyped up that he threw 4-5 MPH faster than he usually does and got the middle of the order out was impressive.

Wright needs to figure out how to bottle up that emotion, and find that more often on the mound. I've always said I wanted to see Wright in a one-two inning role vs a starter or middle reliever, but he's pitched in that role before and din't have that kind of velocity. 

That's see how he shows up the next game, but I was impressed yesterday by him for the first time in a long time.

o

o

16 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

It’s possible that Elias saw something wrong with Wright and fixed him. He’s been one of the better players since ST started.

Other than hitting 96-97 again, he looked like the same Wright. No idea where the ball is going, but has flashes of dominance.  Maybe they can hide that better in 1 inning stints. 

Side note, when Blier was struggling, you could read Givens lips in the dugout. He said "I should have went back out there ".

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Wright needs to figure out how to bottle up that emotion and find that more often on the mound. I've always said I wanted to see Wright in a one-two inning role vs a starter or middle reliever, but he's pitched in that role before and din't have that kind of velocity. 

I do think we’ve seen that velocity from him a few times in the past, leading to people getting very excited (for a short time) about how he might do as a reliever.   For example, his first outing after the got called up in 2017, he had a very similar outing to yesterday: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K’s, topped out at 97.9.  http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=5&day=31&year=2017&game=gid_2017_05_31_nyamlb_balmlb_1%2F&pitchSel=605541&prevGame=gid_2017_05_31_nyamlb_balmlb_1%2F&prevDate=531&league=mlb

Here’s another (less successful) one inning outing a couple weeks later where he topped out at 97.4   

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?s_type=3&sp_type=1&batterX=0&year=2017&month=6&day=10&pitchSel=605541.xml&game=gid_2017_06_10_balmlb_nyamlb_1/&prevGame=gid_2017_06_10_balmlb_nyamlb_1/

So he definitely has that in him, but I just haven’t seen him do it consistently, either velocity-wise or getting his pitches to the spots he wants with enough frequency.   Like everyone else, I’d be happy if it turns out differently this time, but I’d probably need to see two consecutive strong months from him to believe he was turning a corner as opposed to just locking in very temporarily.   

29 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Other than hitting 96-97 again, he looked like the same Wright. No idea where the ball is going, but has flashes of dominance. 

I think this is pretty much it. But the cutter looks good. 

34 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Other than hitting 96-97 again, he looked like the same Wright. No idea where the ball is going, but has flashes of dominance.  Maybe they can hide that better in 1 inning stints. 

Side note, when Blier was struggling, you could read Givens lips in the dugout. He said "I should have went back out there ".

Seemed to me he was throwing with a downward trajectory, as he had in his first few ST games.

Archived