The rise and fall on the O's starting pitching

wildcard

I don't even think Hyde makes rotation decisions without input from Elias. If there is someone in AAA or the bullpen breaking down the door to be a starter in Baltimore, Elias will tell Hyde and they will work out how the roster changes.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mdbdotcom said:

I don't even think Hyde makes rotation decisions without input from Elias. If there is someone in AAA or the bullpen breaking down the door to be a starter in Baltimore, Elias will tell Hyde and they will work out how the roster changes.

And the MiL season doesn’t even begin until Thursday, so nobody’s knocking on the door in AAA.

Just now, Frobby said:

And the MiL season doesn’t even begin until Thursday, so nobody’s knocking on the door in AAA.

They are playing minor league spring training games.   I have to think Rogers and Ramirez are still pitching every 5th day.

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They are playing minor league spring training games.   I have to think Rogers and Ramirez are still pitching every 5th day.

And as we learned several weeks ago, ST numbers don't mean much to Elias. He relies more on regular season numbers, whether they are in the minors or majors.

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's a little soon I think. Both Cashner and Bundy will be better than they pitched in their first starts. Means might be a solid long reliever, but can he have that success as a starter? The team still needs a 5th starter really. 

Could Means be the next Jamie Moyer, with a changeup that convinces hitters it's a fastball? If so, he could be a great part of the rotation or bullpen.

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Could Means be the next Jamie Moyer, with a changeup that convinces hitters it's a fastball? If so, he could be a great part of the rotation or bullpen.

What's cool is he can hit 93, too. That's a 13 mph differential with exactly the same arm action, according to Palmer. 

Of all the qualified pitchers right now, John Means has the highest Swinging Strike % in the major leagues. He's earned a spot on the team when Cobb comes back, in my opinion. I'd send Yacabonis down. The walk to Gardner was bad, but it was a really impressive at bat by Gardner.

2 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Of all the qualified pitchers right now, John Means has the highest Swinging Strike % in the major leagues. He's earned a spot on the team when Cobb comes back, in my opinion. I'd send Yacabonis down. The walk to Gardner was bad, but it was a really impressive at bat by Gardner.

I take it this means your exempting Hader?

Cause he's on another planet.

we are now making decsions on pitchers after one start? Bundy and Cashner are major league veterans, they are not going to the bullpen on a really bad team. Especially after one start. They will go on the DL before they go to the pen.

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

And as we learned several weeks ago, ST numbers don't mean much to Elias. He relies more on regular season numbers, whether they are in the minors or majors.

I didn't learn the Elias does not consider ST numbers.  I learned that he is watching his prospects service time closely.  That is why I think he sent Hay, Diaz and Santander down.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I didn't learn the Elias does not consider ST numbers.  I learned that he is watching his prospects service time closely.  That is why I think he sent Hay, Diaz and Santander down.

We'll be able to tell when they get called up.

1 hour ago, zjsmith said:

we are now making decsions on pitchers after one start? Bundy and Cashner are major league veterans, they are not going to the bullpen on a really bad team. Especially after one start. They will go on the DL before they go to the pen.

Sounds like a reading comprehension problem.  No one is suggesting that Bundy and Cashner be sent to the pen after one start.

Archived